Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening/Morning all, we inherited a lovely 10,000 litre pond when we bought our home together and have managed very little towards settting it up but that's all about to change.

I've just bought this to be delivered in the next day or so

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/-pondxpert-multichamber-36000-36w-uvc-15000-pond-pump/p1940

Whats people thoughts on it??

Also the pond is very very green and full of literally hundreds of tadpoles, should I set up the filter system and let it do its job or pump out and start again with clean water??

thanks in advance for your advice and looking forward to being part of this community

Regards

Davie

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You did not mention fish. Do you have any? If not, no need to set up the new filter unit.
Nor did you mention plants. Plants are necessary for maintaining clear water naturally.
Any photos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You did not mention fish. Do you have any? If not, no need to set up the new filter unit.
Nor did you mention plants. Plants are necessary for maintaining clear water naturally.
Any photos?
Thanks for the reply, no fish at present as they were all taken by the previous owners, got an old pond filter set up which is obviously not working so its all switched off, no water plants just the shrubs round the pond which do provide shade. When we are set up my father in law has a load of Koi Carp which he wants us to have as he has too many in his pond (he inherited from his now deceased mother)

No photos at present as can't upload to this computer but can upload at home soon

Cheers

Davie

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You will need the new biofilter when you begin adding fish. I would recommend that you do not add more than 2 or 3 fish at a time in order for the biofilter to properly cycle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about the current water?? Do I pump it out as its very green and start a fresh with water from the hose or allow the filter to clean it up and clear it??

Davie

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Leave the current water in the pond, but do not expect a biofilter to clear it. That is not the function of a biofilter. Replacing the current water with new water will only start the balancing process all over again. The water will clear on its own given time. Patience is a requirement with ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leave the current water in the pond, but do not expect a biofilter to clear it. That is not the function of a biofilter. Replacing the current water with new water will only start the balancing process all over again. The water will clear on its own given time. Patience is a requirement with ponds.
I believe the system I have bought as per first part of this thread is a mechanical and bio filter, am I right??

Davie

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I believe the system I have bought as per first part of this thread is a mechanical and bio filter, am I right??

Davie
Yes, and it may remove some of the plankton algae. but it will not remove the greater part of it. Quilt batting may help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponds just take time to mature and after rebuilding I know again how long it takes .Patience and you will get there and the reward is the best ever when you say I am there .It does not happen in 6 or 7 months sometimes it takes a year or 2

Ask a Question