Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mattstark44, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

Good morning everyone! I'm new to the forum because I'm new to the pond hobby. I have just started my first pond details below with a few pictures. I'm not done yet, so it's a work in progress...I have a feeling it's always going to be a work in progress :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Menards pre-formed 275 gallon About 6' X 8' X 18" deep :( (Wish it was deeper) but it's my first so can always grow!
    4000 liter biological pressure filter with UV light on timer 2 hours in morning and 2 hours in evening
    Tetra pre-filter to 600GPH pump to Tetra fountain
    Tetra in-pond skimmer to 1,900GPH pump to LED waterfall

I had some really clear water and for the first week and then added some Pondworx Pond Bacteria and the next day seemed a brown tint kind of dirty. I also added 3 gold fish my Dad gave me out of his 8 year old pond. They're doing good it seems, swimming around checking things out and seem to love where the waterfall dumps into the pond. They haven't been eating much though? I also added a placostmus (not sure I'm spelling that right) We named him shadow because he seems to hide in the shadows and not do much.

Anyway not sure what I did that could of caused the abrupted change in water condition so I'm sure some "veteran" pond lovers could help me.

I love this new hobby and learning all about it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Mattstark44, Jun 21, 2017
    CeeJayH and Spartamets like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Mattstark44

Spartamets

Nice pond; welcome to the forum! This is a good place to learn what you are doing--and why. There is a lot of knowledge and experience swimming around here.

Spartamets, Jun 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Mattstark44

sissy sissy

Welcome and love your bar but hate to tell you that you are now addicted and we can't help you as we encourage you and then you go bigger ;):LOL:We get addicted and can't help adding more people to our addiction

sissy, Jun 21, 2017
    haver79 likes this.
  4. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

Thanks Sissy, I added the patio this spring and have been busy ever sense. I'm already wishing I would of gone deeper and bigger with a liner. Maybe in a couple years.

sissy likes this.
  5. Mattstark44

j.w I Love my Goldies

[​IMG] @Mattstark44
    Pretty pond and wondering if any of that nice soil around the edges may have gotten in and colored the water a bit. Sounds like it could be that stuff you added to the water tho. Hopefully it will clear up on it's own. If not you can stick a plastic basket w/some of that white quilt batting shoved in and put it under your falls to fine clean out the brown. I take a piece of denser plastic screen and lay it over the top of the batting to collect the bigger particles before it goes through to the white batting.
    Something like this:
    This one is full and I need to clean and start over again:
    IMG_8295.JPG

Just take out the dirty batting and do it again till the water is clear. I have spare batting that I can use while one cleans and dries.

IMG_8296.JPG

j.w, Jun 21, 2017
    cas likes this.
  6. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

Thanks J.W. I just transplanted those evergreen bushes (hopefully don't regret it) I tried to be careful but may have gotten some dirt in the pond. I'm going to take my pre-filter out tonight and pressure wash it to clean it and put it back in. I have an API freshwater test kit in the mail and on it's way to get testing on the water. I'll give it a few days and see if it improves.

j.w likes this.
  7. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

Sissy, I was just reading another one of your posts and see that you stated the barley extract will tint it brown for a couple days. I did add a little liquid barley extract, I bet that's it. I have a small bail of barley in the pond as well, can you put to much barley in a pond?

8. Mattstark44

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jun 21, 2017
    Mattstark44 likes this.
  9. Mattstark44

sissy sissy

liquid barley with peat will tint the water but not just plain liquid barley .I don't care for the straw it just makes a smelly mess .Barley breaks down to be a peroxide type chemical .

sissy, Jun 21, 2017
  10. Mattstark44

Lisak1

Welcome! This caught my eye in your post - did I understand correctly that you turn your filter on and off?

Lisak1, Jun 22, 2017
  11. Mattstark44

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Looks nice.
    I noticed that the photos are tagged "Koi Pond". I do hope that this is not your plan. Pond is entirely too small for Koi.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 22, 2017
  12. Mattstark44

sissy sissy

I think he only means uv on timer but that will kill the bulb fast .He does mention going bigger and only mentions 3 goldfish and that whatever it is .Some say koi ponds because they just associate ponds with koi .I started with a preformed also and went bigger and bigger

sissy, Jun 22, 2017
  13. Mattstark44

Lisak1

I bet you read that right - I read too fast sometimes!

Lisak1, Jun 22, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  14. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

3 goldfish, should refer to it as a goldfish pond. I read that it isn't necessary to run the UV bulb all the time? I put it on an outdoor timer hoping to lengthen the life of it. The filter, waterfall and fountain run 24/7.

Mattstark44, Jun 22, 2017
  15. Mattstark44

Lisak1

Glad to hear the filter is running 24/7 - that's important! I know nothing about UV though, but @sissy did say that you would burn your bulb out faster on a timer.

Lisak1, Jun 22, 2017
  16. Mattstark44

sissy sissy

But uv being turned off and on is not good for it either .Had my neighbor do that to save on her electric bill and bulb burned out in a month .That is how I know .I just got some off ebay 18 watt for 7.99 for 2 of them from topdogseller .She now runs it all the time .He has 9 watt uv's for 28 dollars and if you buy 2 items you save 5% and free shipping

sissy, Jun 22, 2017
  17. Mattstark44

Mattstark44

OK, thanks sissy. I'll take the UV light off the timer and run it 24/7 like everything else. I will have to look at the size of it and make sure I have a couple extra bulbs on hand at all time. I found last night that the timer had come unplugged so now my belief is that's why the water started clouding up. I plugged it back in last night, washed my pre-filter and skimmer fileter and could already see improvement in the water clarity.

Mattstark44, Jun 22, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  18. Mattstark44

Lisak1

I just wanted to add a very quiet voice here saying "it's possible to have clear water without a UV!" We've never used one and have never have an issue with green water.

Lisak1, Jun 22, 2017
    Feddy and Mattstark44 like this.
  19. Mattstark44

sissy sissy

it can depend also on your climate and how shaded the pond is or high a temperature your pond water can get too .I use one because of my rebuilds and with having to shade the pond from our extreme heat and then you add in all the rain .My pond would be in sun all day and 90 degrees and 100 degree days and then dropping to 60's at night it has been a whirl wind year so far .We have even dropped to 50 and 40 degrees at night with 80's and 90's during the day .Saves on my electric bill as heat pump does not have to work as hard

sissy, Jun 22, 2017
  20. Mattstark44

Rdodger

I added a UV light last weekend and its already cleared the water up for me. My pond faces south with no shade and days in the 90's so keeping the water had become impossible.

Rdodger, Jun 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question