Newbies!

Reaction score
I'm not really new at water gardens, I'm just starting a new pond and want some hints and advice. I want a large pond and I have a hole under some large (about 70ft tall) oak trees. Will the fall leaves be much of a problem? The pond is about 3 ft deep (could be deeper if need be) and 14 ft in diameter. I'll be digging some troughs and at least one bog, so it will actually be larger than this. I intend to put in fish and a variety of plants.

Also, any tips on making ponds the least expensive route would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Another question . . .

I have some large (HUGE) rock formations that make a natual indention. Is there anyway that you can think of to make these into a natural looking pond? Maybe with concrete? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Reaction score
I would think that the fall leaves could cause a problem, although with daily (or twice daily) manual skimming, it should be okay. You could also construct some sort of netted covering for the months in which the leaves would be falling. That would make things easier really.

Reaction score
I would (in fall time) put a mesh net over the pond. Leave it there for a few weeks to get rid of the worst leaves.

Reaction score
The net is a good idea. The manual skimming is not an option. Even my kids would get tired of it eventually.

What about the rock issue? I want to put a pond in the rock formation, run a stream down the hill side to the trampoline hole and then buile a gazeebo to sit partially over the pond.

Reaction score
Can I do my lower pond first and then add the stream an upper pond later? The upper pond is the one with the boulders and it's going to be the trickier of the two.

Reaction score
regarding the leaves - My pond is near the woods so plenty of leaves fall in it! I scoop them out daily and cover the pond with mesh during the fall. The oak leaves turned my water a tea color, but the fish didn't seem to mind!

Ask a Question