Newby would like help....please

Reaction score
Hi everyone....I am new to this and would like some help please. I moved into a property about 3 months ago which had a small pond in the back garden....approx size is 5ft x 3ft x 3ft. It had no filter, pump, or plants...just the liner in the ground and a dissused waterfall feature. The wife was keen to put fish in so we put in about 20 small goldfish that we purchased from a local dealer. I also added a pump (1000 lph) which i connected to the waterfall feature and also alternate sometimes by changing it to fountain. The pump does seem very underpowered as when i connect it to the waterfall it is more of a dribble at the bottom returning to the pond and we also leave the pump on 24/7. The fish have been fine for a couple of months, feeding well and seem healthy. However....now one or two of the fish have died and the others don't seem well at all.They seem to congregate at the top near the edge of the pond as if they are gasping for air....I know that sounds daft as they are fish and dont need air??? I would like to sort the problem out but don't know what to buy.....do I need a filter? Do I need a bigger pump? Do I need plants(I have none). I have added two treatments to the pond....both Tetra......one I add when I top up the water level with tap water which isn't very often.....and the other is an algae clear additive. I do live in the UK so temperature is dropping a bit now were approaching Winter....is that a factor? Any advise greatfully recieved... Regards Eddie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you need to do a big water change,
Do you have a test kit? If not do your fish a favor and go buy one.
Be sure to use a dechlor when changing water.
I sounds like you may have a ammonia problem.
Every living thing needs air.
Your waterfall puts air in the pond.
Yes you do need a filter.
Your pump should be fine.
Plants that's your choice.
Quit adding chemicals to the pond and filter it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

I would do as Dodad suggested and at the same time look at your pump. If you are only getting a trickle then there is too much head pressure for this pump or your inlet is clogged.

In the absense of a good bio filter, plants will help a lot to maintain a safe level.

I am also in agreement that chemicals have no place in your pond, that includes fertilizers for plants.

Reaction score
OK, I understand that you need to learn the basics. While goldfish don't breathe air, they need oxygen, and your pond is so polluted by this time that it doesn't have enough oxygen in the water for them to survive. Thus they are gulping air to get some oxygen. This is an emergency.

As the previous poster said, change most of the water right away. A water conditioner to inactivate chlorine is the one chemical you need to use. Just topping your pond off is not enough, you need to remove old water as well. The usual recommendation is to change 10% of your total volume of water each week, even with filtration. Your fish are basically swimming in fishy sewage.

Then you need to go on a shopping trip. You need a filter (a biofilter) to remove the chemical wastes produced by your fish. You can get an adequate filter for your small pond at Home Depot or Lowes. You probably should get a new pump while you are there. The one you have should be big enough for your little pond, but it isn't doing the job. It may be defective or clogged. If the fountain works well, it may just be that the plumbing of the waterfall is clogged. You also need to get an air pump, tubing and air stone to get some bubbles in the pond to help provide oxygen.

Shame on the dealer who sold you the fish without telling you what you needed to keep them healthy. How stupid of him/her not to take the opportunity to get more sales from you.

If you do all of this, you should save most of your remaining fish and keep them healthy in the future. Good luck!

Oops, I just realized that you are from the UK and probably don't have Home Depot and Lowes. These are big "home improvement" stores that have a garden department with some pond equipment.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Lets not go overboard!!! Air pumps are nice to have, but in my 42 years of ponds, I have never used one and my fish are doing very well.
This person needs the essentials to save their fish. Getting that water turning over and a significant water change is what is most important now.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im not sure if the pump is big enough ,in case people are getting confused its litres per hour not gallons ..i dont no enough to know if thats strong enough. how many gallons of water does your pond hold Eddie ?.and what type of pump is it ? but as everyone else has already said you do need to do a large water change and soon or those fish are going to keep on dying

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The pond calculates to about 330 gallons and the pump is rated at 264 GPH with zero head, I suspect.
If the flow is not impeded, and the lift (head) is not too much, this pump should be big enough.

Reaction score
The pump may be enough turnover for the pond in terms of filtration, but sounds like it's not enough to run the waterfall.

I agree with everyone else that you probably need to do a large water change ASAP for the fish.

You'll need test kits (API master freshwater test kits are what I use, and they run about $20-30 US over here) so you can monitor the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. These are basically coming from fish waste. You need to do enough water changes to maintain the ammonia and nitrites under 0.25ppm if at all possible. And it sounds to me like 20 goldfish is way overstocked for a 300-400 gallon (US) pond. I'd back that down to 10 (or maybe even 5 for now till you get the pond water parameters under control and since it's Fall and the temperatures are dropping).

Once you get the water paramters safe, you need to start considering a filter design if you want to keep fish in this pond. Check out the DIY forum for some cheap and pretty easy ways to design your own filter and save some $$ over buying one.

Based on what you've already got, I'd probably upgrade your pump to one big enough to run both your fountain and your waterfall, and put a filter in the line before your waterfall (you may be able to use the waterfall to hide a filter, and the water coming out of the filter to run down the waterfall?)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome and let us know how things turn out for you.

rdk

Reaction score
When I found that my pond ammonia was 3.0 I did a 90% water change. In 3 hours the reading went back to 3.0 or maybe 4.0. What stopped this was every 7 days to remove 15 to 20% without missing a single week. Every test now is 0.0 My pond is 310 gals. Go build a filter you can only be sorry if you do not. RDK

Ask a Question