Newest member of the family - a puppy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi, all!

Just had to share pics of my new handsome man (albeit a puppy!). I saw him on the APL's website, so we went quickly went and rescued him. According to the APL, him and his 7 siblings were "dumped" at a local river. We've had him for a month (he was 8 weeks when we adopted him), and he is learning very quickly and growing very quickly! The APL said he was a lab mix, but on further research and talking with my vet, I believe he is a catahoula leopard dog mix. He was 14 pounds when we got him, and now he is 26 pounds. I love big, active dogs, so the bigger the better!

It's been quite an adjustment for my family. We had a 16 year old chocolate lab that we had to put down last year - the best dog ever. It took me some time to decide to give my heart to a dog again, but I am so glad I did.

By the way, his name is Camo.

Attachments

• camo 1.JPG
    camo 1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 239
  • camo 2.JPG
    camo 2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 241
  • camo 3.JPG
    camo 3.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 222

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Camo is a nice looking dog, love the patterns on him. Wonder how big he will get? Do the others in his litter look like him?
Happy he got a nice home w/ your family :luxlove:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Love him! Neat color and he looks like he's still got plenty of growing to do. Looks like Catahoula (Curr) to me too. Catahoula and labs are similar as far as learning, Labs love fetch and water, Catahoula, love to run and herd. Our old one LOVED to play freezbe and would run obstacle course very well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful pup! That pup will have great life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thank you all for your nice comments! I've learned the technical name for his color/markings is called "blue leopard."

j.w - The vet seems to think he'll get around 80 pounds. There were 2 others in the litter that had similar markings as Camo, but with more white. The other 5 in the litter didn't look like him at all - 2 were solid black and the other 3 were white with brown heads. Quite the mixture!

fishin4cars - I don't have anything to herd (except my kids - LOL), so I hope he likes frisbee and water! We live right by Lake Erie, so we're hoping he likes to swim like our old lab did! How was the personality of your Catahoula? A lot of the reading I've done seems to be on the negative side regarding their personalities. For example, protective, not liking other dogs, need a "strong" owner, etc.

And, yes, he is spoiled! The good part is if I would have chosen a 2nd career path, I would have been a dog trainer. But, I learned long ago, you really aren't training the dog, you are training yourself!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ours had a super personality, Protective yes, But only rarely toward humans. Picked up very fast everyone that was normally around and never showed any aggression toward the kids or neighbors. Didn't like delivery trucks but neither does my Lab now. Where ours was most Protective was with snakes and reptiles, He would pull your pants legs in the opposite direction if you got anywhere were near a snake and he knew it was close by. Other animals it was protective and jealous of but nothing that wasn't manageable. Needing a strong owner? I don't understand that one, the kids love him and he always played with any one that picked up a freesbie and he lived in the same house with a cat and our sure pug and never was aggressive with them, or the children. Might would have needed someone strong if we had walked him on a leash as he would pull a lot when he was on a leash but we only put him on a leash to go to the vet so I am not sure how he would have been if we leash walked him much.

Ask a Question