Newest Newbie

Reaction score
Greetings fellow pond owners! I am very new to the pond world, I live in Las Vegas and have a very small backyard so I decided to use a pre-fab tub. It is Approx. 300 Gallons with plant shelves surrounding it. I've had it for about 6 months. I have a Bio-King filter w/waterfall, live plants and have successfully (so far) kept 6 Koi ranging from 4" to 9". Here's my dilema, I've researched and have come up with many confusing answers..
Do I stop feeding the fish for the winter? What exactly is considered winter in Las Vegas? Is it the water temp? When then should I stop feeding? Also do I shut down the pump/filter and keep the waterfall running? Do I take out the plants? ANY advise is greatly appreciated!! Thank You, Debra

Reaction score
Hi Debra!

I have family in Vegas and Pahrump! Welcome!

Look at some of our old posts to get the info you need, but essentially once your water temperature (not air temp) hits 50 degrees (get a thermometer at the pet shop), you quit feeding your fish and can turn off your filtration if you like. Everything goes back on in the spring when your temps again hit 50 degrees.

Taking out the plants depends on the type you have. Can you identify them or do you have photos you can share so we can help you?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your fish might still beg for food at the lower temperatures. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THEM. They will be fine and you won't have to worry about the food rotting in their stomachs.

Another place is your local market meat counter. I got my digital thermometer for only $10 there and it is very accurate. It does both "C" & "F".
It comes with a plastic sleeve and a clip so you can carry it in your pocket without it falling out when you bend over your pond.

Reaction score
Thank You for your responses. I already do have a thermometer in the pond and the water is still 62 degrees and that was taken this evening. The coolest night so far this fall season was about 50 and the daytime temp is still in the mid 80's. A few more questions if I may, I have been "weaning" them off food for about 3 weeks figuring it is getting cooler. I only feed them a tiny bit every 3 or 4 days. Is that too much/too little? (I feel terribly guilty. They look at me as if they are starving. But I am well aware they are not, along with the risks of food rotting in their stomachs.)
I am also a bit obssesive when it comes to checking the water for the correct levels of Ph, Alkaline, Chlorine etc. My question: when I do stop feeding and shut down the filter, Do I leave the waterfall and air stones on? Should I check the water levels and adjust if nessacary? and last, I have some "floaters such as lillies and water lettuce" along with umbrella plants. Do I have to remove them? Will they survive the cold? oops This is the last question.. Am I over crowding my pond? it is very small and I read somewhere that each Koi requies 200 gallons per fish. I only have 300+ Gallons and I have 6 Koi. Too many?
Again thank you for taking the time all writing

Reaction score
Again, air temps don't matter. The only thing you need to think about it water temp. If your water temp is above 50, you can feed them twice a day with a fall food. At 62 degrees, I bet they are still quite hungry, so go ahead and feed them 2x per day.

What can you tell us about your water parameters? Are they not stable? Do you continually need to make adjustments? If so, that is usually a sign that something is off. But when you shut a pond down for winter, you don't worry anymore about water parameters...

When you turn off your pond for winter, you can leave a air stone in, but make sure it hangs in the upper 1/4 or 1/3 of your pond depth so that it does not disturb the warmer water where the fish will hang out/hibernate at the bottom. You do not need to leave your waterfall on, but you can. You don't need to do both, you can just do one of these. If your water freezes in any way, it is best not to keep the waterfall on, because if your waterfall starts to freeze over, it can cause flooding/leaking in other areas as the water slowly freezes in funny angles.

With lilies, you just cut the leaves/stems off and plunge the ugly looking tuber thingee deep into the pond and it will do fine and come back next year (if they are hardy lilies and not tropical). Umbrellas need to be brought in to overwinter in your house as they are tropicals. Simply keep them in water the same way with similar light as they get outside and they will be fine. You need to change the water every few days so it doesn't get stale. You can bring a few water lettuce inside too. Just keep 'em in a bucket with an air stone going and change the water every few days, too. When they go back in the pond they will start multiplying like crazy again.

I'm guessing your koi are probably very small right now in your 300+ gallon pond. But, yes, you have way too many. In fact, you really shouldn't have koi at all. These fish go very quickly, and will soon not fit in your pond. You would be better off with goldfish like comets, shubunkin, etc.

Hope that helps you. Keep the questions coming and search the site, as we already have lots of info like this out there.

Reaction score
Oh My, I feel so bad. I thought I was prepared enough for the untertaking of building a pond. I researched and researched. I found that places like Petsmart etc. are the worst places to get advice because I would get two totally different answers to one question depending on which employee was working. I found that even local "pond experts" all have different and diverse ways of pond care. I did start my pond with feeder goldfish, but the I purchased a few Koi becuase of their beauty. Then I adopted a few more because people were in need of finding homes for them quick. I knew it would be alot of work for the upkeep, but it is my passion now. I love my fish/pond. I want what's best for them. I check my water as a precaution. I have never had any problems with any levels, with the exception of hardness, and chlorine when adding water, In the summer I was having to add water almost weekly because being 110 degreees outside the water evaperates, I haven't had a fish die or get sick but then again I've only had it for approx. 6 months. They seem to be thriving, in fact I have noticed they grow rapidly. I've enclosed a pic of my "babies" I really would love to keep the Koi, I am now looking into a larger pond!!!

Attachments

• DSC03833.JPG
    DSC03833.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Very pretty. I would definitely say that the butterfly looks a tad thin, and that you need to be doing more feeding. See the size of the head in relation to the body? Feed more.

If your water parameters are fine after a bunch of checks, you don't have to check it too often. I check mine maybe twice a year. My water is clear and my fish are happy, so I don't feel the need to check.

LOL! A bigger pond! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that line! LOL! That's the way it happens with koi. You fall in love, and you do everything you can to keep them...and that usually means going bigger.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not just koi for me.. if i only had goldfish varieties ,,i would still want bigger..just more fish to go with it..........
Hi, my name is Mark and its been 6 weeks since my last meeting.. yesterday i found myself at petsmart with a baggy of pond water tucked in my jacket staring into a tank of 3" domestics...the smell of the bulk koi food filled the air...............will someone be my sponsor?

Reaction score
Thank you! Thank You! To everyone, I am grateful to have found this forum. When I was researching It was quite overwhelming listening to so many people and their "opinions" But here It is refreshing to have a nice conversation as well as a wealth of knowledge from my "fellow" pond owners. I am on my way out to the pond now, It's going to be another balmy 85 degree day here. I just love my new retreat, oasis, zen den, it's more than a hobby, It is an addiction. I may need a sponsor also...
oh one more thing (as usual) What's fall food? Where may I purchase it?
Thanks again, Debra
Sorry about my spelling mistakes, I do know how to spell, I just have trouble typing...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wheat germ foods lower protien foods theyre called spring / fall diet when your water cools down your fishes digestive tract slows with it the fall diet foodsare easily digested and leave less waste in the pond to fester thru the winter months.

Ask a Question