Newly added fish hiding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
i just added 2 koi and a gold fish to my pond. Since putting them in 2 days ago, I have only seen the gold fish briefly and the koi not at all. They seem to hide under the plants. I have tried putting food in, but they don’t come out to get it. I have seen evidence of chewing on the water lettuce. How can I get them to be more social and how long can they go without fish food?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
They'll come out once they feel safe and nibble on algae as they want.
If you didn't acclimate them properly they will hide longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes, as others have said, Patience!!!!!! I was convinced my fish had disappeared after I first put them in the pond, but they were all in there. Spend time working around the pond and sitting by it. They eventually will get used to you. I've had my pond for a year and a half. I was in pulling out excess plants yesterday and I had 20 some goldfish nibbling my feet! They are NOSY! Yours will get used to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem. Last year I got 2 gold fish and 2 shubunkins and don't remember them hiding. I lost them so bought 2 Shubunkins and still after about 12 days still hiding. I'm losing patience 'bagmom'! LOL

Ask a Question