Newly divided lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey everyone! I pulled a hugely overgrown lily out of the front yard pond and divided it. I threw out some old bulb pieces but got five new plants with new growth. I am kind of a novice with lilies and wondering if they are slow to grow due to the shock of division? I fertilized them. They seem to be growing very slowly, compared to lilies in the past. Also, the leaves seem really small. Should I have discarded some of the new starts? Or is this how they are?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep them in warm shallow water, sun, fertilize they will take off. Make sure the grow tip is not covered up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ahhhhh - so I should have them in more shallow water than normal? Then gradually move deeper, I guess?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ahhhhh - so I should have them in more shallow water than normal? Then gradually move deeper, I guess?
That is what I do with new lilies esp if small. Shallow warmer more sun. It helps, even my over wintered ones I leave shallow until they start to grow then send deeper. Esp if I do a hard groom on them.

Ask a Question