Next year, I am covering the pond net with tulle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I spent an hour in the pond today -- ALL the way in. It is up to my ribcage standing and I had to squat down to my chin -- to individually fish out the hundreds of slippery, slimy acorns that fell in this year. Hubby doesn't like the way the tulle looks over the net (an effective way to keep the acorns out) so I tried it without. "How many acorns can there be?" I thought. The answer is three big dishpans full. There were hundreds. All stuck between the rocks in the walls, hiding in the plants and down in the roots of the big iris. There were sooo many. I was cold when I got done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh dear. That's no fun. :( I'm so glad that our towering oaks don't drop their acorns into the pond (for the most part) Leaves, yes. Acorns, not so much. Just watching the forest changing & beginning to seriously drop right now. Hard to believe that in a month or so we'll all be hunkered down for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh dear. That's no fun. :( I'm so glad that our towering oaks don't drop their acorns into the pond (for the most part) Leaves, yes. Acorns, not so much. Just watching the forest changing & beginning to seriously drop right now. Hard to believe that in a month or so we'll all be hunkered down for the winter.
The almanacs and all the meteorologists are forecasting a very mild winter for my area. (Snow is an oddity here even in years when wintery weather has a "good" chance.). Usually I complain about it - but this year it will be a real blessing to be able to have coffee outside and visit with friends and family! And now I can do that without looking at all those slimy, algae-covered acorns!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love when my husband has opinions about things... and then I get to deal with the "fall out" so to speak! Use your tulle woman!
Yeah -- I used a ton of white, wide tulle over the black net. The white came in the widest width and the white was on sale. I will admit it looked very odd, especially since I use tall poles to elevate my net and make a ramp for the leaves and acorns to roll down. It functions great but does look strange. I will try black tulle next year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few pix so you can see what I mean by the net being sloped like a ramp. The first picture shows the tulle. It did look weird but worked well with the spiders, I thought! The frame for the slope is a bit of work to put together (bamboo with garden wire) but it works great! The leaves (and acorns, if I use tulle over the top) just roll and blow right down to the ground. Then I can go by with the leaf blower and schwoop them away! They don't sit on the net and weigh it down.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg