Night time frost

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
So, I got my first shipment of pond plants and realized I have a ton of questions! I've done lots of research before now, but now that it's time to plant.... So, appreciate any advice you have to offer.

1. Most of the plants I purchased are hardy. We live in zone 4, so there will likely be several frosts yet. Will the tender plants like the floating hyacinth make it if there is frost? Is there a way to cover them like I would my pots of annuals? Will the water lilies lose their leaves if there is frost?

2. Is it best to plant marginals in gravel or clay? (I don't have a bog). Can they be planted between the rocks bareroot?

3. I found some lovely taro bulbs (rhizomes?) and potted them. Can I put them directly in the pond, or should I keep them out until they start to sprout?

I think I figured out the floating and submerged plants. I've started a lovely algae bloom, but since this is the first year and I am just getting plants in for the first time I keep repeating "Be patient, be patient, be patient..." But I miss my fish :(

Thanks for you help.
Denise

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not been my experience that a light frost harms any floating plants.

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
1. You could try cutting a trash bag to make it flat and laying it on the top of the hyacinth. Would keep the moisture from setting and freezing.

2, 3. See attached photo. I live in Michigan and I keep my iris' in 1 gallon plastic containers to make it easier to winter them and check on them in the spring. Not as natural as in between the rocks and stuff but I do place rocks around them in the pond. The containers also make it easy to divide them. I'm up to 9 so far in a small 200ish gallon preformed pond.

Attachments

• 2016-04-23 20.12.03.jpg
    2016-04-23 20.12.03.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 244

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I don't know about Gettysburg, but around here I've seen a light frost kill (or at least mortally wound) many a water hyacinth! Toss them in a bucket and bring them in overnight until all danger of frost is past.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had my plants in the pond waterfall and filters for 3 frosts and water protects them from the frost if it is warm enough .The left over winter water hyacinth and bananas in the filters did fine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Thank you for all your replies! Against all odds, it has yet to freeze again and the forecast is clear for the foreseeable future. :)

Ask a Question