Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Correct, then read the bottom sections of "nitrate tolerance", that is stating "Goldfish can tolerate levels in excess of 1,000 mg/l with most other fish falling between the two.". mg/l = ppm.

So, it is all about the fish species rather than a broad generalization.
Dont koi get what they call black blood if you have high nitrate levels , I think I read or heard it somewhere a long time ago ?

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

I believe I responded too quick since I was in a hurry to hit the local pub. After further reading, the referenced article within that article is actually quite interesting, that is titled Is Nitrate Toxic? A Study of Nitrate Toxicity, but then he resorts to the typical broad generalizations found amongst hobbyists. There are many interesting aquaculture industry literature talking about the toxicity range of Nitrates on Goldfish and Koi, except most talk in terms of mortality rather than when the nitrates start to become toxic. The best information about nitrate toxicity for Koi and Golfish I could find were both written by Dr. Johnson: 1) Koi, Goldfish, & Pond Health : Ntrate; 2) Nitrates by Dr. Erik. L Johnson, D.V.M.

For these issues of "toxicity", I take the same positioning as I did with ammonia in the thread, An ammonia question... A reading from the strip. In other words, it is better to have a lower Nitrate reading so I tend to position my self with the "better safe than sorry" crowd on this one.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Dont koi get what they call black blood if you have high nitrate levels , I think I read or heard it somewhere a long time ago ?

Dave

I have no idea, but it would not surprise me. Personally, I would never allow the nitrate to get too high.

Ask a Question