Nitrite high! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we had a sudden wave of warmer weather and the ice and snow is all gone and I can see the fish after many weeks. They look ok but I decided to get levels today. Ammonia was 0.25 ish but nitrite was 0.5 ppm! Not sure what to do. Pump and waterfall etc is off.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would add prime it will detoxify ammonia and nitrites start. I would turn the pumps on as long as there is no chance of any ice diverting water from the pond. What type of filter (bio/mechanical) do you have on the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A second to Prime or the powdered version, Safe. But the binding property it has will last only 48 hours, so it has to be dosed every other day.

Also, the tests will still show ammonia and nitrite, but it will be bound, so it won't harm the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would add prime it will detoxify ammonia and nitrites start. I would turn the pumps on as long as there is no chance of any ice diverting water from the pond. What type of filter (bio/mechanical) do you have on the pond?
Would a pet store have it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a bio filter in the falls and I also use a second pump with an external filter unit. Both closed for winter right now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to thank you again for such prompt help! You guys are awesome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
A second to Prime or the powdered version, Safe. But the binding property it has will last only 48 hours, so it has to be dosed every other day.

Also, the tests will still show ammonia and nitrite, but it will be bound, so it won't harm the fish.
Just wanted to thank you for such prompt help! You guys are awesome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe, start your pump and filter back up. The bacteria in the biofilter will help.
Hey this is crazy. just did levels again with a new kit that we bought today because I thought maybe the other fluids from last years kit were corrupted or expired or whatever. Nitrite and nitrate are ZERO(???????) With the new kit. Both are api master test kits

Ask a Question