Nitrite on the Rise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi -
Only once in 25 years do I recall having a nitrite problem. It was do to having to do massive water changes to get an ammonia level down.
My water parameters are all perfect but just the other day, the nitrite was .25 and today about .35. I put in Fritz Complete as I keep a gallon around as a fail safe. My water has been perfect since March 1st when I started everything up. I'm really not about to salt the pond yet. I prefer not if I can get the level down quickly. I stopped feeding as of today as it could be over feeding in 68F degree water. I just did a partial water change to bring it down a bit more.

Is there a interactive chart one can use for nitrite as this one below for ammonia, etc to see where the danger level exactly is? This one is pretty cool, especially for ammonia not to mention the other conversions.

Currently, fish are fine, asymptomatic as it's only a few days and the koi are large. Any suggestions other than water changes I just did and waiting for the nitrobacter to build ... not sure where they went ... lol ... Thx .... :) ...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcnh3c

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've heard high nitrite is one of the few times to use salt, but I can understand your reluctance. I would stick with frequent partial water changes and increased aeration and monitor carefully.....also no feeding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've heard high nitrite is one of the few times to use salt, but I can understand your reluctance. I would stick with frequent partial water changes and increased aeration and monitor carefully.....also no feeding.

I hear ya Tula! I never have a nitrite spike. I'm holding on the salt as since the water change 20% plus the Fritz Complete, the nitrite is about .15, nothing to be concerned except to keep it going south. I'll stop feeding a few days and monitor. The Fritz Complete is rather amazing. If one has an ammonia problem, it not only neutralizes it, it shows 0 on a test after adding it. With nitrite, it renders it harmless. It also removes chlorine and chloramines... I'd rather a dose of that now and in 3 days if needed than pouring 25 lbs of salt in the pound to reach a .15 salt level.
Thx

Ask a Question