Nitrites stilll high in QT

Reaction score
My PH is 7.6, Ammonia is .25 and still cant get Nitrites below 2.0 water temp is a steady 74. Filter is in second week of cycle and I am maintaining salt levels. Don't want to use a lot of chems what else can I try? Wil water changes help?

Reaction score
Yes, water changes will lower your nitrites proportional to the amount of water your change. A 50% water change will cut it in half to 1.0, a 75% water change will decrease it by 3/4 to 0.5. This will not slow the progress of your cycle, and your fish will appreciate the improved water quality. You are probably about half way through the cycling process, so hang in there.

Reaction score
Old school fish friend believes in qt having about a .30 salt level which should kill 7 of the 10 fish diseases also that it will buffer high nitrites?

Reaction score
Also salt is just for qt period not a permanent thing............Yes I do have fish in there to help age the filter and improve water qualiy

Reaction score
Yes, the salt will protect your fish from some nitrite damage if you don't let it get too high. No, it won't kill 70% of fish diseases. That concentration will kill many plants, so if you plan to have plants in there wait until you clean out the salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sharon Goode said:
Old school fish friend believes in qt having about a .30 salt level which should kill 7 of the 10 fish diseases also that it will buffer high nitrites?
Thats fine until you come to use somthing in the QT tank that needs no salt to be in it.
I would however not do a water change if its half way through the cycle then it cant e much longer before it finishes,
I remember how mortified I was when I was waiting for our pond to spike before everything went to normal.
Try to wait just that little bit longer before resorting to a water change especially if the temperature is going dowm.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Quarentine Tank and or QT fasilty in our case a 550 gallon imperial self contained tank with filter, U/V-C, submersable pump, venturie and bottom drain.
Each person will have something of their own approach to this be it a fish tank, koi OT tank like ours or QT pond.
The same can be done in the smaller tropical fish world basically making sure your fish has a clean bill of health , normally they stay in there around about one month.

rgrds

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sharon Goode said:
2) My PH is 7.6, Ammonia is .25 and still cant get Nitrites below 2.0 water temp is a steady 74. 1) Filter is in second week of cycle and 3) I am maintaining salt levels. 4) Don't want to use a lot of chems what else can I try? 5) Wil water changes help?

1) Filter is in second week of cycle ...

Any updates? Been about a week, curious if your levels have improved. I suspect you should be registering a noticeably growing level of Nitrates as well.

2) My PH is 7.6, Ammonia is .25 and still cant get Nitrites below 2.0 water temp is a steady 74.

With that level of ammonia and high level of nitrites, this gives me the impression "stage 1" (ammonia oxidizers) are doing their job, but the high level of nitrites gives me the impression that "stage 2" (nitrite oxidizers) are lagging behind and this is quite normal. The nitrite oxiders are always the last to develop. If your filter took 2 weeks to get to this point and since weather should be cooling down a bit, then I would not be suprised that your Nitrite levels might be still high or noticeably above zero. Due to your particular environment, I would not be suprised if it might take another week or 2 more weeks for the Nitrites to be entirely neutralized.

4) Don't want to use a lot of chems what else can I try?

First Time High Ammonia - This thread would be applicable to your situation as well. Since Nitrite is product of a form of Ammonia oxidation, if you reduce the ammonia, then you will reduce the Nitrite as well. Also, the mentioned products, such as Amquel Plus, will also neutralize the Nitrite. The product is completely safe and is also a dechlorinator. It is a good "all around" product all ponds should have in their closet; this product or another rendition of this type of product. Honestly, this should be the only chemical in your closet depending on the situation.

3) I am maintaining salt levels.

I hope not too high.

Salinity does not need to be high at all to neutralize Nitrite toxicity. At most, salinity only needs to be up to .10% to combat Nitrite toxicity. It is the chloride ion that neutralizes the Nitrite ion. The going ratio is around 7:1 to 10:1, chloride to nitrite, required to neutralize toxicity. The typical salt used to increase pond salinity is Sodium Chloride (table salt). The sodium does nothing, or very little, to counteract the Nitrite toxicity. The sodium component is the irritant to fish that causes them to increase their slime coat and is what kills particular weak pathogens and other "bugs". Sodium also changes the water's density and this interacts with the fish so to help with the fish's osmoregulatory system. Calcium chloride can also combat nitrite toxicity, which is much safer than sodium chloride. Nitrite toxicity essentially morphs the blood and does other stuff causing the fish to carry less oxygen thoughout its body. So, I would still do, at most, .10% salinity with sodium chloride, or the typical pond salt, to help the fish out with their osmoregulatry system.

If proper pond husbandry is followed to maintain water's calcium and other water parameters, then all you should ever need is .10% salinity to combat Nitrite toxicity.

Again, only up to .10% salinity to combat Nitrite toxicity, but, even at this level, it can harm the fully submerged pond plants. Ya can go up to .15~.25% salinity, but this will kill most fully aquatic pond plants and some terrestrial bog plants. I would definitely not go any higher than this unless you are told to do it.

To really have an impact on any pathogen or parasite or other "bug", you really have to increase the salinity to .40~.60% or higher and this should only be temperarory and done once a year due to how these "bugs" can evolve to adapt to these salinity levels and you will have to pay close attention to the fish. If I did it at this high level, then I would always be watching the fish for any odd lethargic movements. During the Winter-Spring transition, I have seen individuals raise salinity to this level for up to absolutely no longer than a few weeks to a month. Even during a transition period, doing salinity this high would make me nervious. Personally, I would not do it unless I am told to do so by a professional.

5) Wil water changes help?

Depends on how much water you will exchange ...

In your situation, then I would do 60% daily or 80% once every 2 days or, at the very least 40% daily, that is until the Nitrite level is significantly reduced. Be sure to do them slowly. A fast big water change can shock the fish. First, take out the old water. Then, slowly add the new water over a period of 12 hours or so and be sure to add dechlorinator before hand if it is needed.

Since chemical pollution, that is Ammonia and Nitrite, is constantly regenerating, then this impacts the pollutant equillibrium so much so that the dillution factor is not a 1:1 ratio at a low rate of exchange and the ratio is closer to a 1:1 at higher rates of exchange. In other words...
1) a 20% water change will likely only reduce the pollution by around 5~10%.
2) a 40% water change will likely only be around a 25~30% pollution dilution
3) a 60% water change around a 45~50% pollution dilution
4) a 80% water change would be around a 70~75% pollution dilution.
Of course, this all depends on your pollution's regeneration rate so the disparity might be larger for some and no so much for others.

Generally, small water changes of 10~20%, on a weekly basis, are only effective to replenish minerals in the water.

Generally, "Flow through" systems are water change systems that do roughly 15%~20% or higher daily water changes for entire seasons and this being done on a 24/7 duration, sometimes all year round, is what makes them quite useful.

Reaction score
Readings on Nitrites and ammonia are running the same. Added a Bio Filter Booster yesterday, which is supposed to get process moving a little faster. My understanding of the cycle is that the water changes should not interfere with the growth of the good bacteria I need to achieve a good balance in my tanks. Is my assumption correct? Please advise all info is very much needed.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sharon Goode said:
1) Readings on Nitrites and ammonia are running the same. 2) Added a Bio Filter Booster yesterday, which is supposed to get process moving a little faster. 3) My understanding of the cycle is that the water changes should not interfere with the growth of the good bacteria I need to achieve a good balance in my tanks. Is my assumption correct? Please advise all info is very much needed.

1) Readings on Nitrites and ammonia are running the same.

Generally, takes a good month or two for the biological filter of an outdoor pond/tank to become acclimated. This is why it is a good idea to start the bio-filter cycle process no later than August. Otherwise, then it will need to be done in an enclosed, somewhat insulated, area.

Yeah, appears "stage 2" is lagging behind, which is normal as mentioned above. Lets hope another week will make the difference. Gonna :fingersx: to hope for the best. Worst case scenario is it might take another 2~3 weeks for the nitrite oxidizers to form, but, by then, the weather will start to persuade the water to cool down and this would cause the nitrite oxidizers to go into dormancy or die off until the Spring and still possibly leaving you with a high Nitrite level.

Personally, since I have the means, I would start making arrangements to move the QT tank inside an insulated barn or insulate shed or in the car garage and use a bucket heater on a timer to regulate the water temperature. Then, halfway through Spring, for me it is around April~May, then I would put the fish in the pond.

Once Winter gets to you, the cold water will persuade most biological activity to cease and you may start to see ammonia to increase until Spring.

If you can not make arrangements as mentioned above, then you will need to start to seriously think about doing some slow major water changes, use a water conditioner such as Amquel Plus to neutralize the ammonia/nitrite toxicity to the fish, continue testing the water, and hope for the best. The microorganisms in the bio-filter can still feed on the inorganic chemicals even when the toxicity is neutralized by Amquel Plus. To learn more about Amquel Plus, then checkout my post#12 in the thread Really bad City water.

Also, if you feel comfortable increasing salinity, as the procedure is described quite well in the First Time High Ammonia thread, then, personally, I would increase the salinity to .10%.

2) Added a Bio Filter Booster yesterday, which is supposed to get process moving a little faster.

The product may or may not help. I would not set high hopes in the product resolving the situation. Why? post#4 in Is it possible to harm your pond with too much bacteria additive?

3) My understanding of the cycle is that the water changes should not interfere with the growth of the good bacteria I need to achieve a good balance in my tanks. Is my assumption correct?

Yep, correct. The water changes are more done so the high pollution levels do not harm the fish, but, if big water changes are done too fast, then they can stress the fish. Just do the changes slow as I mentioned above.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Environmental variables are what determines how fast a biologicaly filter will be colonized by the appopriate microorganisms. Microorganisms reproduce according to how their aquatic environment feeds them. Retail store products do not change the environment so these products can not speed up this process. Retail store store products simply try to speed up the process by injecting a higher population of the microorganisms, but this does not persuade the microorganisms to do their job faster. In otherwords, in a less than optimum environment, then a higher microorganism population is required to do their job of oxidizing the inorganic chemicals, such as converting Ammonia to Nitrite and Nitrite to Nitrate. In an optimum environment, then a lower microorganism population is required to do the same job.

So.... What I am trying to say is.... You can perform certain procedures to improve the aquatic environment so to make it more optimal for the microorganisms.

Right now, in your situation, the most obvious limiting factor will be the water temperature. Microogranisms that we want, in our context, generally find 78*F~84*F water temperature to be optimal. Since it is so late in the year, I am afraid cooler weather is around the corner and this will have a dramatic impact on the microorganisms. Unfortunately, other than moving the tank and adding a heater, there is not much that can be done about water temperature. However, there are still other procedures you can do to speed up the biological process.

The other parameters you can modify to decrease the cycling time would involve improving your KH value, calcium chloride, using some koi clay, magnesium sulfate, a calcium carbonate product, and improved aeration.

Easy simple solution to the water pollution ?? Water changes.

Unfortunately, I need to take Mother to the doctor in the city and it might be an all day ordeal and I need to leave right now. Good luck. :cheerful: :claphands:

Ask a Question