No ammonia yet

Reaction score
For some reason my pond hasn't started to cycle yet. I have 2 less fish then last year but the same amount as when I first put pond in but everything is testing 0. I ruled out bad test supplies because if I don't do daily water changes on quarantine take I get ammonia reading. Could I have missed it? I test every 7 days and have had 0 on ammonia and nitrite. Usually it is cycled by now.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like it has already cycled. Have you tested for Nitrate? .If Nitrate is present the pond has cycled.
You may have retained the greater part of the nitrifying bacteria population over the Winter,

Reaction score
Just tested nitrate and it is 0 but my nitrate level has fallen to 0 in the past after it initially rises because of all the plants I have,so I have been told. The past winter is the first year I left filter box in water with bio balls in it,all the previouse years I removed it,could this have anything to do with it?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not uncommon to have a zero read of nitrate in a well planted,well maintained pond. It would also not be uncommon to have nitrates in a pond that has not even begun to cycle. The last scenario could mean trates are present in the incoming water. My pond never shows any ammonia reading at all even during the spring when the fish start coming to. Don't worry about what isn't a problem,just keep testing. Oh,just saw the question about the bio balls.,yes leaving them in is beneficial as the sooner they get colonized the better. I leave my bio bag in all year and just hose it out good for start up.

Ask a Question