No Babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have had our pond app 8 years. Pretty large pond with only goldfish 18 to 20 app. Set up with filter and uv light. We were wondering why we never have any baby goldfish. Have plants all season till winter. Our friend has a much smaller pond with less fish, and every year she has little ones. Also does anyone know where a can purchase an underwater log or similar items for in pond bottom?
Thank You
Terry & MJ

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you ever see spawning behavior - one or two fish chasing another one relentlessly, lots of splashing, etc? If so, your other fish may just be eating the eggs before they hatch. If not, we’ll, I don’t know! The chances of having a single sex pond with that many fish is unlikely, but that’s my only other guess.

How big is your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You maybe better off with no babies .Not sure how big your pond is but with 18 to 20 baby fish you would not want to over crowd your pond .Some times baby fish a curse of death for a pond .Once they start having you will be amazed how fast the pond gets over crowded .

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Try get the water temps over 24C. That usually triggers spawning off.
You also could try manually extract the eggs and sperm into a container with a airstone running. I did it twice this year with results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm... It's pretty easy to spot spawning in the spring because there is constant chasing to the point the females can get exhausted. If you are having spawning the more places for eggs and fry to hide the more likely they will survive. Underwater plants like hornwort and anachasis are good for that. Also if they are really hungry less fry will survive. You might try feeding them more often...but be careful what you wish for. I get 10-20 babies every year and they grow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All Boys ? All Girls? Buy a mated pair?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was excited at first that mine had babies, but now I have to drain the pond to get them all out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
odds are, either the fish or other predators are getting to the eggs/fry before they can mature. I doubt you have only one gender of fish. If you're not feeding your fish regularly, they'll be more hungry and fry have less of a chance. Dragonfly larvae will go for fry, too. Like others have said; if you have a balance, it's better. Most don't want to overload their pond and are happy to not see fry get to the 'noticeable' stage. Also like others have said, if you put more oxygenating plants on the bottom, both eggs and fry stand a better chance of survival.

Michael

Ask a Question