No clue newbie here!!

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a while now and figured I better join in case I need some help!!

So I have started my backyard project. I'm planning on building a 9x13 pond around 3ft deep with a 5-8 foot stream leading to it. This will be my first attempt at any thinfg water so I'm hoping I'm not getting in over my head!!

I have been looking through all the pictures to try to get ideas about the type of rock I want to use. Still haven't decided on it yet since me and my wife have 2 different ideas. I hoping we can comprimise soon so I can get the rock ordered.

Anyway I look forward to hanging out here and hopfully assist down the road.

Thanks, Rick

Reaction score
I hope you are talking about rock OUTSIDE of the pond, because rocks don't belong INSIDE the pond.

Welcome, and it looks like you've joined at the right time.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Rick. Please goto the UserCP and add your location.
Post some progress photos of your build.

Reaction score
Here is the picture of the start of the dig. More roots than anything!! Oh the pine trees are scheduled to be removed next week.

Pond1.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Plane_pilot said:
Here is the picture of the start of the dig. More roots than anything!! Oh the pine trees are scheduled to be removed next week.

Pond1.jpg

Good idea! The pine needles may not be good for the pond chemistry. Are you going to plant anything to replace the loss of shade?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An empty canvas to build on, how much fun!

Reaction score
Welcome! Can't wait to see your progress! Keep us updated, we love to share in your excitement!

Reaction score
There are 2 hardwoods about 15 feet behind the pond. That will give me middle afternoon shade. So I'm hoping they are close enough for better shade but not too much of a problem come fall!!

I made some good progress today. We had some rain this week so the whole thing was full for a half a day. It has dried out some but that damp soil made digging so much better!!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! Enjoy the experience. You don't want to dig too close to the roots of the hardwoods, that might kill them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Looks like you removed only 1 of the trees. I wouldn't worry about killing a tree by cutting roots on one side, 75% or more will take care of that loss and grow larger.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We wiped out some nice pines in colorado, building a cabin, just cut a few of the surface roots. So since then I have been cautious.

Ask a Question