No color

Pap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fry raised in my pond naturally always turn out gray and white basically no color. Sometimes a small amount of orange. I have orange adult koi and goldfish in there. Had them for years. Never get full color. Is it because koi/goldfish cross?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! What is the biggest size the fry have grown? I have had some brown/grey goldfish color up at around 4". Not sure about the hybrids myself.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How long have you had the pond? Yes, possibly hybrids, and what @JRS asked, as well.

Please tell us more about your pond and include some pics. There’s usually always more to the story.

Pap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How long have you had the pond? Yes, possibly hybrids, and what @JRS asked, as well.

Please tell us more about your pond and include some pics. There’s usually always more to the story.
Hello and welcome!

I have some that are 3 yrs old. No color. Maybe 18” No filter. Pond is kinda murky for pics. Resent rains got in. Never ,for at least 3 spawns have I gotten a true full color or for that matter a true color spotted. 95% gray.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658351930433.gif
@Pap

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My goldfish are showing color at about three to four months of age, some gold, some gold and white, some gold and black, and one still black.

Pap

Reaction score
Country
United States
2 or 3 years old. Barbels not sterile.

Attachments

• 93A07EDC-E54C-40C8-9E16-B2790698ED5D.jpeg
    93A07EDC-E54C-40C8-9E16-B2790698ED5D.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 23

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That gray looks like a variation of an Asagi type or Doitsu maybe. Breeders cull their stock severely to eliminate the least desirable looking specimens, seems like you grew one that has more of the blue gray color.

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Get a ton of koi offspring that look like the one pictured, come from a matsukawabake, also get a lot of kumonryu, and kin matsubs, as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That fish your being to hard on. It may not have reds and orange but it definitely is not a standard carp coloring. IT APPEARS TO HAVE A BLUEISH BLACK PATERN white head and fins and back. orange in the fins that may become an interesting fish it even appears to have a little scaling i call armoring.
work on clearing up your water it may truly be a keeper

Pap

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m keeping all of them. Back to my original question. Isn’t it a little strange that over the years (like 10) I have never gotten even a spotted orange black and white or whatever solid? Always the mottled gray. Especially when my initial koi from years ago were solid color or spotted. In the past I have had heron and mink problems. That is why I still don’t have my originals.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Just a combination of genetics and natural selection.

"It is a common misconception that high quality breeder koi produce thousands of offspring that look just like their parents. Breed two high quality Kohaku together, and you get thousands of equally high quality Kohaku, right? Not quite.

Since the beautiful colors and patterns seen in koi are actually a genetic mutation, a very small percentage of koi offspring are attractive enough to have any market value. In some varieties, as much as 99% of the offspring are unattractive, with no commercial value."

From this website: https://blueridgekoi.com/our-company/breeding-process/

Ask a Question