no filter

Reaction score
okay im working on a pond. i want to fill it with aquatic plants is that enought filtration can i get away with it no filter just the plants only a powerhead for water circulation. for the record only gonna have some mosquito fish and shrimp. might substitute the mosquito fish for guppies. any advice i would love to hear it.

Reaction score
Testing the water is the only way to tell if a pond has enough bio filtering. This is just as true when a pond has a bio filter.

I can't really even guess in your case without knowing something about your pond...size, number of animals, amount of food you plan, species of shrimp, etc. And then it would just be a guess. Testing tells you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomecrowd.gif
Rob

Reaction score
i dont think i would need a biofilter im not going to have anykind of koi just plain ole guppies.

thank you j,w.

Reaction score
You will be more then fine with the power head drill a hole in the intake and venturi the power head now u have water movement and oxygen just don't over stock and put plants before the fish to get a head start getting use to the water you should be fine imho

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can make it a really nice water garden pond w/ lots of nice plants and throw in a few small fish to eat up the skeeters. They are fun to watch too :goldfish:
I don't have a filter in my pond right now. It's 2500 gal w/ about 30 or so goldfish in it, lots of plants, a waterfall and I do partial water changes now and then along w/ the rain that does it for free here often. Also skim the bottom w/ a net now and then to remove some of the debris that builds up. I have clear water and fish looking good. We have pretty mild weather here w/ not a lot of sun so that could help w/ keeping the algae at bay also. Pot my plants in kitty litter and growing good, feed fish sparingly and try to control the heron w/ wire fencing, windchimes, loud talk radio and cat that loves to chase the bird!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Nothing wrong with going the au naturale way. I like lots of plants in my pond, fun for the fish. But I also like to tinker with filters so I have 8 of the around the pond and I'm building more!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus pond is just plants and some minnows, no filter, you should be fine. Post some pictures as you go

Ask a Question