no power

Reaction score
Just got past a 28 hour power outage - sucks. Three indoor tanks and the pond with no aeration or filtering. All the bacteria are probably dead. Will have to watch for ammonia spikes now. :-(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh Malak that's a bummer. Does the bacteria go bad that fast? What if you add some enzymes?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
For tanks I like to put the trickle filter under the tank. When the power goes off enough water drains down to cover the media. You do have to size the trickle filter so that it does not overflow.

EDIT: If you can take the media out of the filter and place it in the tank (or pond) it will possibly get enough oxygen and nutrients to make it through the outage with enough bacteria alive to quickly rebound.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear that malak and as long as you can add liquid bacteria to the filters during the outage it should help some I would think so anyway .I had that happen last year and was told to do that and just pour some pond water down the filter once in awhile to help the liquid bacteria take hold .It worked for me my electric here was out for 4 days

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sissy said:
sorry to hear that malak and as long as you can add liquid bacteria to the filters during the outage it should help some I would think so anyway .I had that happen last year and was told to do that and just pour some pond water down the filter once in awhile to help the liquid bacteria take hold .It worked for me my electric here was out for 4 days

The reason the bacteria are dying in the filter is that they lack the oxygen and nutrients needed for life. Adding more bacteria makes it worse.

If you don't want to dump the media in the tank pour enough tank water into the filter to feed the bacteria. Maybe 2 or 3x what the filter holds to flush the old out. Sort of like using the filter as a batch unit instead of a flow through.

I am glad you saved your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats why I was told to poor buckets of water over the filter media and just add a small amount of bacteria and add some 02 to the water to boost the oxygen in the pond to keep the fish alive .It worked and with no side effects to the fish or quality of the water .That was last year in the heat of the summer and a tornado went through Axton .I think I suffered more than the fish .It was bad without air conditioning in 90 degree weather .My pond has no shade trees around it big enough to shade the area yet and all I did was put up shade cloth to help .I invested in a small generator for the future .

Reaction score
I did buy a battery air pump and rotated it between the aquariums. Right after I put it in the pond the power came back on. I also did pour a gallon of water thru the trickle filter during the day. I should have removed the media and submerged it in the pond in hindsight. I also reseeded after the power came back on. So far ok. I have had people tell me they survived with no power for days, but it probably depends on the stocking level and what you have.

Reaction score
Went to go look at generators, but the only one left was 7000 watts which is way overkill. Glad I did not get it now, but I will look for a smaller one for the future.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I have koi and afraid to may at that. I have 12 right now and when that happened last year I had 20 .If mine made it yours will be fine .I got my generator at and estate sale for 20 dollars and can't beat it for things here .I drag it all over the property in the cart and it really comes in handy for places you don't have electric .Just fill it with gas and your ready to go .It only has 2 outlets ,but thats more than enough and it even powers my small air compressor .Check them out and you will know how handy they are .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have a big generator that we use when our power goes out cuz it can happen often and sometimes for long periods especially in the winter. You could get one smaller just to run you aquarium or ponds :lol:

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Still not used to this 10 minute edit thing. Some of this was in the previous post.

A battery powered air pump will help the aquarium fish a great deal. Not only does it ensure the 02 level is up but the moving water ensures that the bacteria on the tank surfaces get the 02 and nutrients they need.

Regarding adding bacteria. Maybe there is a bit of confusion about when to add it. I would not add any during the power outage. You do not want the liquid bacteria using up 02 that should go to the existing colony. OK to add it after the power comes on if it is needed.

If the goal in adding the liquid bacteria is to prevent a buildup of ammonia I suggest you do more water changes if possible.

Ask a Question