Noisy pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Aquascape Tsurumi 5-PL pump got clogged with acorns and has since become noisy. I've had more clogs since, twigs, a frog. Noise keeps getting worse with every clog. pond shop tells me it's gone, so I bought a new pump. But how do I prevent this from happening again? how do you fool proof your pump from getting clogs if a clog is enough to damage it? I have a standard aquascape skimmer box with the net and the filter pad. but I can't stop tiny particles from getting down to the pump area. acorns will end up there no matter what I do. Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Aquascape Tsurumi 5-PL pump got clogged with acorns and has since become noisy. I've had more clogs since, twigs, a frog. Noise keeps getting worse with every clog. pond shop tells me it's gone, so I bought a new pump. But how do I prevent this from happening again? how do you fool proof your pump from getting clogs if a clog is enough to damage it? I have a standard aquascape skimmer box with the net and the filter pad. but I can't stop tiny particles from getting down to the pump area. acorns will end up there no matter what I do. Any tips?
I live outside San Antonio TX and we see our share of acorns. When I bought my last pump I purchased a Net bag, if you will, that the pump set down in and it had a string top to close up the opening. It works great for keeping leaves, frogs, whatever, from entering the intake area. I only have a submersible pump and no skimmer box. I purchased it at watergardengems.com I didn't see in on their website but if you called, I bet they ship. I can't remember how much it was but it is worth every penny to not have a clogged pump. Hope this helps.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589296303341.gif
@dannys
I have at times set my pump into the bottom of a plastic basket w/holes and crammed filter Matala media all around it to collect bigger debris before it reaches the pump. Perhaps you can do this during the seasons in which the nuts etc. are falling or just use it that way all the time. You will have to keep cleaning out the debris in the pot w/the media so the pump can continue on running well. That bag thing that @fishymom found may work fine also. Might be easier to clean the bag also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a crate works and you can even put the pump in a bucket as long as the bucket is deep enough and if you can drill holes in it ,that would be better .A lid on it then would help

Ask a Question