Non adjustable skimmer Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If the pump in installed on the skimmer and the water level drops below the opening the pump will burn out.
aquascape 200 skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If the pump is installed in the skimmer and the water level drops below the opening won't the pump burn out. That's where the installer want's to put it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@420benz I’m going to ask the moderators to move this thread to another topic, maybe “equipment.” That way more people can see and respond. But I’m confused..... Your 1st post sounds like a statement and your 2nd post sounds like a question. So, are you wanting to know what is the best arrangement for pumps in skimmers?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the pump is installed in the skimmer and the water level drops below the opening won't the pump burn out. That's where the installer want's to put it.
If the water level drops and the pump is running dry it can burn up. Like if you have a leak etc.
Usually the water won't drop below the skimmer level unless you have a leak.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But you also need to think about evaporation .Most skimmers that I have seen have automatic refills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most skimmers that I have seen have automatic refills

Most skimmers are equipped to INSTALL autofill - but they don't automatically come with.

@420benz - I've only seen pumps IN skimmers, not ON. I'm not really sure how you would put a pump on a skimmer? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is what i was seeing,

Attachments

• 23.png
    23.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My question was if the water drops the pump will burn out so how do i prevent that? I cant use an automatic refill kit because it will freeze in the winter. So i guess pond owners in cold climates must fill it with a hose that is temporary .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My question was if the water drops the pump will burn out so how do i prevent that? I cant use an automatic refill kit because it will freeze in the winter. So i guess pond owners in cold climates must fill it with a hose that is temporary .
I shut everything off, the fish do fine, less headaches, a break from running water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
an aerator and a pond deicer if it gets iced over .You could even buy another small pump and put in a bucket in the pond with an outlet coming up out of the water to keep an opening if you are not in a really cold area .I used the bucket method for years and used a heavy duty bucket from lowes or home depot with some lava rock in to weigh it down

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You can put in a low water diaphragm or float switch that will kill the power to the pump if the water level drops past a set point in the skimmer housing.

Personally, I’ve had skimmers in my ponds for a long time and never had any issues with the water level dropping below the weir opening.

Ask a Question