Non Aquatic Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am getting ready to landscape around my pond. I had visions of tall flowers like hollyhocks, delphiniums, and lupine. Now I'm reading a lot of these seeds can be toxic to my fish. My pond is already next to a huge flower garden so I'm basically extending what I have around the pond area. Does anyone else have toxic flowers around their ponds? Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have lupine and bleeding heart plants around the pond but never had a issue, plant them so seeds can't fall into the water. Mine are about 6ft away I guess from the pond edge. I really do not see a issue with many plants like this it all depends how much enters the pond, one seed, on berry etc is not a big issue.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have Marsh Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) planted in my turtle-bog and some along the edge of the pond. This plant is considered toxic (the sap, primarily). Without thinking, I have swished leaves in the pond water that were heavily laden with oleander aphids (common pest for this plant) — so the fish could eat the aphids. The fish did fine — thank goodness! I agree, just don’t let seeds get into the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've seen "toxic plant" lists that include just about every plant you can name. I also have lots of them around my pond - never had an issue.
True! I get that when trying to choose plants for the turtle habitat since I try to plant turtle-friendly plants in case they want to graze on them. Basically, you have to look at what part of the plant is “toxic,” and what kind of toxicity does it have. Some animals (fish?) are adapted for eating these type plants. For example: box turtles can be considered “poisonous” for human consumption. Why? Because they eat poisonous mushrooms — harmless for them, but deadly for some animals. Tomato plants (stems & leaves) are toxic for box turtles, but they can eat the fruit (the tomatoes). Go figure!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have plants that drop seeds everywhere pond, yard, bog. No issues from anything. The bog plants , btw, grow anywhere. The land plants grow in the bog. My yard/pond plants co mingle.

Ask a Question