Non filtering waterfall?

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Hi,

I have a 30k gal pond and i want to build a waterfall. It is not going to be filtering anything. A pump will get the water and send it to the waterfall directly. Only for aeration.

So the whole system is just a pump and a pipe. Do you think this system might still get clogged up without a skimmer?

I know if my pump's inlet is large, it won't clog but i am worried for the small fish. So i should put a net to the water inlet.

Reaction score
The fish shouldn't be a problem but if you think they could get sucked in you could always put the pump into a basket of some sort. Depending on the type of pump you might be able to install a foot valve.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Most pond pumps have a screen over the intake to prevent this problem, this design has worked well for me.
s-l400.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My waterfall pump, pumps directly from inside the pond, to my water fall. Originally I tried placing it in the skimmer, but the water moved too fast for the UV ( which is inside the skimmer ) and other problems. My pump has a cover similar to what @peter hillman posted and I've had no problems with my koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could put a crate over the pump .When I had my one pump for winter in my pond it sits inside a crate and I cut up another crate to wire it to the top with rubber coated wire .The crate I bought at walmart had smaller circle cut outs on 4 sides but the bottom was solid

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have a waterfall, but do have 3 DIY [PVC] spitters which basically accomplish the same thing as your waterfall. I have those pumps inside those black boxes with filter media [mainly, the filter media is just there to protect the pump]. My main pump, I have in a mesh bag, but it's also a solids-handling pump with the cage on the front. I have a lot of tadpoles that end up in the Skippy filter [I find them when I flush it], via that solids-pump, and they seem perfectly fine for their trip through impeller-land.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Thanks guys. Sorry for the late response.

So, i am relieved now but i already have a filter and this one doesnt have a very efficient screen(see below the post).

Baby fish might go in. Maybe i can wrap the filter with a woman pantyhose. With anything else, the grid gaps will be too large for new born fish. Using a pre-filter is a great idea but i need to find one that matches my filter.

Doesn't it get clogged up often?

Attachments

• sunsun-hqb-2000-kafa-motoru-1400litre-492-46-B.jpg
    sunsun-hqb-2000-kafa-motoru-1400litre-492-46-B.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 217

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

So, i am relieved now but i already have a filter and this one doesnt have a very efficient screen(see below the post).

Baby fish might go in. Maybe i can wrap the filter with a woman pantyhose. With anything else, the grid gaps will be too large for new born fish. Using a pre-filter is a great idea but i need to find one that matches my filter.

Get a filter bag -- I think someone else posted a link. It's a mesh bag with a drawstring that you put the pump in. Then pull up the drawstring to snug up the opening. That's what I'm using. I don't think you want to use pantyhose as the mesh is too fine and it will interfere with the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States

take a look at lingerie bags at the local dollar store, walmart's ect, and perhaps a mik crate or something to keep the pump from sucking in the bag. Chances are pantie hose will clog up too quick (I use them for filter bags on occasion).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
take a look at lingerie bags at the local dollar store, walmart's ect, and perhaps a mik crate or something to keep the pump from sucking in the bag. Chances are pantie hose will clog up too quick (I use them for filter bags on occasion).
Lingerie bags would probably work just fine, too. Just be sure the mesh isn't too tight.

A mesh pond filter bag....
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Lingerie bags would probably work just fine, too. Just be sure the mesh isn't too tight.
Thanks I just had an epiphany, I can put quilt batting in one and use it for an outlet filter for the mulm on the bottom of my pond. Funny how you can look at something and talk about it, then it clicks!

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Lingerie bag looks cool but we don't have anything like this. I mean nothing intended for underwear at least. I gotta find something else like a shoes bag. Or just order the item.

Ask a Question