Non gravity fed drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
new koi pond construction... we live in limestone territory - currently digging (jackhammering) the pond in limestone - will be approx 3500 gallons. I don’t want to dig an extra hole for gravity fed pre pump. Would you recommend skipping the drain, or a drain to filter? Seems most recommending drain also recommend pre filter gravity fed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF @Jdfam ! I'm not all that knowledgable about filtration, but I do think it's a personal preference - some people swear by bottom drains, others (like myself) will tell you that you can certainly have a well functioning pond without. What kind of filtration do you plan to install? Is this strictly a dedicated koi pond where you will have no plants or rocks in the pond? How many fish are you planning for?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably a few (but very few plants) - start small on the Koi and see where things stabalize. Plan is skimmer, diy bottom up gravel filter - been thinking of a bottom drain that doesn’t go through liner - not planning on rocking the inside of the pond. If anyone has a recommendation on a good through liner drain, and it is ok to directly pump to the filter - I’ll probably go that route.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Probably a few (but very few plants) - start small on the Koi and see where things stabalize. Plan is skimmer, diy bottom up gravel filter - been thinking of a bottom drain that doesn’t go through liner - not planning on rocking the inside of the pond. If anyone has a recommendation on a good through liner drain, and it is ok to directly pump to the filter - I’ll probably go that route.
I did go the route of the bottom drain. how ever code in my area and if not mistaken nationally requires two drains on the same pipe so that if someone gets to close to it the suction it won't hold them under. if you are not rocking the pond I would say well worth the effort IF YOU PITCH the sides and or bottom of the pond toward the drain. All the debris I pull out of he filter basket strainer says yes I'm happy I put the drain in. AS far as the type I used rhino they are very well built schedule 80 pvc . though I believe I wasted my money for the air bladder as my water falls provide all the air I need. but I do like the screw on top. The installation is simple , but the one thing I would not do without is to set it in concrete below the liner so no matter what kind of abuse it may see that it will not shift and tear the liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-13_10-5-21.gif
@Jdfam

Ask a Question