Non-invasive pond plants for partly sunny but most of the day lightly shaded pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My pond has a little morning sun and a few hours of afternoon sun. I have a sunshade over it so it also gets filtered light most of the afternoon. I need some plants, especially floating plants, (NON-INVASIVE!!!!!!!!) that will do well in those lighting conditions. Thanks

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Unfortunately most floating plants are pretty invasive. A lot of water Lillie’s, water lotus and some other classics will do very well in those conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Unfortunately most floating plants are pretty invasive. A lot of water Lillie’s, water lotus and some other classics will do very well in those conditions.
I think that I can clip back floaters to keep them from being too invasive. What are some varieties that would be easily cut back? Also, any suggestions for in-pond plants? Thx

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everything that grows in the pond is sort of invasive, except controlled lilies ie in pots. Water willow is a real pretty, small plant with a great root mass. Gets too much yank it out. Grows great just floating in the water.

I just yank and toss when stuff tries to take over. Just tossed a ton of parrots feather, already trying to take over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Everything that grows in the pond is sort of invasive,

Agree 100%. I think that's why many things become so popular in the ponding world... they're easy to grow and come back reliably. And then they take over your life! Just kidding... like any other garden, a water garden needs to be maintained. Pruning and grooming and thinning and cleaning up are all part of the process of keeping things under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Unless the plant is native to your area, if it grows too much for your pond, give excess away to a responsible ponding buddy, or throw in the trash. (In Florida, I just saw a natural lake overgrown with water hyacinth (a true "invasive"), crowding out the native water plants.) ((yes, longer term members of GPF, I would have cleaned out some of the hyacinths if I didn't think gators and Addy1's Nessies were hiding under it!))
Enjoy what you plant!

Ask a Question