Noob looking for help picking out UV pressure filters

Reaction score
Hello All,
My name is Mark and I’m new to this forum and to ‘ponding’(?) in general.
Currently I have a water-feature/garden pond in my front yard I’m looking to tear apart and redo.
I have had many issues in the past with algae and other natural contaminates making the water look less then desirable, so I need some advice, UV pressure filter wise.

The picture below will show you what I have in mind for a completed feature, However Mine will have two starting ‘bowls’(?) and two waterfall runs, and will meet into one basin at the bottom for collection and recirculation by the pump.
Waterfall.jpg

I have currently a Tsurumi 50PN2.25S Pump (3630gph) that I would like to reuse, but no other parts besides that.
- http://www.aquaticponds.com/Tsurumi-50PN225S-60-Pump--3630-GPH_p_644.html

I would like to run a 2” pipe to a 2”x1.5”x1.5” Y and from there go to two separate UV pressure filters, each filter supplying one of the two starting bowls .

I’m looking for an ‘off the shelf unit, and an not really willing to try and tackle a DIY unit at this time.

My budget for each of the two filters is somewhere around $500 ($1000 total) .

My questions are –
1.)Will this idea even work?

2.)Are there any other ways of tackling this project.

3.)If I put a shut off on each of the two 1.5” pipes leading to the filter units and shut one off at a time will I be able to create enough pressure to backwash the filters one at a time?

4.)Which UV pressure filters should I be looking at for my application?
a.Brand
b.Model

Additionally, any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mark Mokita
Minneapolis, MN

Reaction score
I suppose it should work, but why the hassle? Id go for a single larger filter, and put the Y behind the filter. Or dont even use a Y at all, just connect both bowls with an underground pipe (use a wide one, as there is no pressure, use 4"); that way they will always have the same water level, and you can just put the outflow of the filter in either bowl.

Having only one filter means cleaning only one filter and for the money you will likely have considerably more filtering capacity. A filter thats 2x as large and capable is not 2x as expensive. Also, if you would buy 2 filters, either one of them would have to be able to cope with the full pressure from your pump. Doesnt make sense to me.

Cant recommend any specific one, just make sure it can handle your pump's capacity.

Ask a Question