Noob with questions...

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hello All!!
The wife and moved into a house that, at one point, had an award winning garden and koi pond. Well, the owners we bought the house from neglected everything for 4 years. I think I was also supplying the neighborhood with mosquitoes. Here are some before pics:

pond003.jpg

pond004.jpg

Skimmer was also missing everything and had a busted up Beckett PS 1600 A that had a severed cord.

Luckily, I received a flyer from a local pond designer and supplier, so I gave him a call. The owner came out the following day and knew the pond! He said he has been here before and knew the original owner. He knew exactly what I needed: New skimmer net and filter pad and recommended a Savio Water Master 2050gph solids pump. So for next to nothing, they came out yesterday and rehabbed the pond and saved some of the lillies:

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

They didn't add and river rock to the bottom, so it's just the liner. So the pond is back up and running after 4 years. This is my first pond and I've done a lot of research and reading. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to add anything to the water for the lillies?
2. If I start seeing mosquito larvae in the pond again, can I add another Mosquito dunk, or should I buy pond specific larvae killer?
3. Are the small rocks at the top of the falls able to support good bacteria? If so, would I need to purcase some to start the process?
4. What would you recommend if Algae starts becoming a problem when it gets warmer?
5. Would I ever need to use a UV sterilizer or Foam Fractioners?
6. How often do I need to clean the skimmer and pump?

Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum........
Answers :
1) fertilizer tablets if plants need them. Other wise the lily will use nutrients form the pond
2) If the water is moving in the pond you may not see any mosquitos. They like still water.
3) purchase Microbe-lift PL or other Microbe-lift bacteria solution and add to pond as directed..
4) If pond is cycled properly and you have the correct filtration you may not experience algea.
5) If algea appears and is a problem you may consider a UV unit. I don't use one.
6) I would say once a month unless it gets really dirty than clean it. Use pond to rinse all you filter medium and pads.
Hope that helps......:icon_smile:

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and answers. :icon_smile:

When would I want to use foam fractioners? I've been reading about "waterfall foam". Is that when you want to use it?

BTW, this year is a "trial period". No fish. If I can keep a good balance this summer, then I may start next year with some Comets.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DrCase said:
You got a nice little pond there.

Thanks Doc!

Here are some pre-rehab pics of the skimmer and old Beckett pump:

pond012.jpg

pond013.jpg

pond017.jpg

I'm going to get the cord fixed and see if the pump still works. If so, I'd like to use it to drain the pond if I ever need to add fresh water.

This new hobby is replacing sport compact racing. I had a 320 HP VW GTI that I used to drag race. Since the arrival of my son last month and a new house, I needed to sell it. If I treat this pond like I treated my car, I could probably bathe in the pond it'll be soo clean...:grumble:

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
So I just spoke to the guy that rehabbed my pond. He said that there wasn't a waterfall filter or filter mat previously installed. All that that is there on top are the little rocks (you can see in the pic in my original post). Are the rocks acting like a Bio filter? Should I add Microbe-Lift PL to the rocks to start bacteria growth? :100:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wouldnt be a bad idea.. the rocks are in the upper pool, correct? then add.. they are working as your filter. put it in by your pump and let it pump it evenly up and thru the stone. but you dont have to use microbelift there are other brands. i use organica pristine pond. you can get it at any MEIJERS. i'd pay the extra for the pl gel FILTER INNOCULANT from microbelift to start a filter. but your stone would have to be clean and DRY and looks like too much work

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Then we can get you started on a filter, so you can show the baby the fish next year.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Oak park i just saw that ,,i grew up in hanover park not to far away..

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DrCase said:
Then we can get you started on a filter, so you can show the baby the fish next year.

Thanks! I just picked up a botlle of Microbe-Left PL. I'm going to pond vac the pond next week and clean the skimmer. Once that's done, I'll add the ML.

Hanover Park? Yeah! You're close. What made you move to AR-Kansas? :goldfish:

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
OK...It's been a week and a half since the rehab and everything is going well. I added the initial dose of Microbe-Left PL this past Wednesday. Will add a lesser dose this Wednesday per bottle instructions. However, the upper pool (waterfall\bio filter) is starting to get a lot of algae. Any recommendations on how to control it? The main pond is crystal clear.

Thanks,

Lew

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
some alge is a good thing.. in the upper pool its feeding on nutrients before they get to the main pond. it should clear on its own as the filter matures...if its string alge clear it by hand when and if it gets problematic.

Ask a Question