Normal behavior?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
A few of my shubunkins are chasing the same one constantly. I am afraid it will get stressed out...Is this normal behavior for them? The person I bought them from said they are too young to spawn (I bought them at about 3 inches and they are now 4")....When I posted this problem before (at that time I only had three) it was recommended that I get more plants for cover and more fish to possibly take the attention off of the one...So I bought 4 more and now have seven. It worked for about a month but now its starting again....My last pond was huge so I never was able to see close up their behavior like I can now....Never had shubunkins before either...just koi and comets.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A few of my shubunkins are chasing the same one constantly. I am afraid it will get stressed out...Is this normal behavior for them? The person I bought them from said they are too young to spawn (I bought them at about 3 inches and they are now 4")....When I posted this problem before (at that time I only had three) it was recommended that I get more plants for cover and more fish to possibly take the attention off of the one...So I bought 4 more and now have seven. It worked for about a month but now its starting again....My last pond was huge so I never was able to see close up their behavior like I can now....Never had shubunkins before either...just koi and comets.....
They are plenty big to spawn and you can't stop love unless you take the love out and let it rest for a bit or get some more girls for the boys to share the love :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They are plenty big to spawn and you can't stop love unless you take the love out and let it rest for a bit or get some more girls for the boys to share the love :love:
yikes! sage relationship advice from the Queen! Geez, now we gots ta petition Super Boss to give lil Queenie a raise for taking on another department! RUBY! See whatcha done?

Yeppa; get more fish; that should be the GPF mantra around here... :cool: :giggle: :D ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That poor girl if the rest are all boys! :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
If you feed them less now, they'll do some self-population control (egg-eating, the way of the fish world). If you have a back-up quarantine area, you could net out the girl being chased and see if you can stall some of the breeding. But, basically, with 7 fish, you've got boys and girls together ... Baby shubies will be so cute! Remember, everyone loves baby pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you feed them less now, they'll do some self-population control (egg-eating, the way of the fish world). If you have a back-up quarantine area, you could net out the girl being chased and see if you can stall some of the breeding. But, basically, with 7 fish, you've got boys and girls together ... Baby shubies will be so cute! Remember, everyone loves baby pictures.
I will cut down on feeding them…I was under the impression that I didn’t have to worry about population control yet…thanks for chiming in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I will cut down on feeding them…I was under the impression that I didn’t have to worry about population control yet…thanks for chiming in!
It was a surprise to me to see my fins frolicing last spring. Oh, they grow up so fast these days ;).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm AM GOING TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERANT THIS YEAR WITH SPAWNIING if you can't beat them join them right, So here's the idea all fish love a good plant they can swim through and lay there eggs against the bristles. well the bristles of brushes that the pro breeders use. So after they spawn I'll pull out the brushes and wash them off or if it's a ornamental fish I'd like to see the offspring i may let them mature in a hospital tank.
As far as the chasing is concerned get them plenty of hiding places room for one

Ask a Question