Not a new pond but changes to my pond I built last year, busy, busy, busy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our temps here have warmed a lot over the last week. We went from a foot of snow to 60's and sunny. It is supposed to stay that way for at least the next ten days so I have been busy making the changes I decided to do to get the pond running.

I built the pond last year and as you all know the first year is a major learning experience. So I have decided to change a couple things.

The pond was built with one 6000 GPH pump in the pond with a two inch hose split into one half in hoses that ran into two small but deep separate pools at the top of the falls.

This year I decided a few things.

- I want skippie filters
- I want to remove all the rocks that are submerged in the pond (not a lot but some)
- I want more flow out of the falls (second pump needed)
- I want a bog at the top
- I need to raise the liner in a couple spot to raise the water level a few more inches

So far I have done the following:

- removed all the plants from the back of the waterfall area
- dug the holes for the skippies (1 100 gallon, 1 75 gallon)
- removed all the rocks around the pools at the top
- dug out the pools combining them to one mini bog
- drained 50 percent of the water
- mucked out the bottom
- cleaned the sides and removed all the submerged rocks
- pulled the lilies off the bottom (went swimming to do so, they wont be going on the very bottom ever again feet down will be fine for our winters)
- put the pumps in and ran the hoses
- installed some under water lights I purchased

Today I am finishing the job doing the following:

- install the skippies (drill the holes, mount the outlets, hook up the hoses)
- back fill around the back of the skippies
- put the rocks back around the bog and skippies
- move the plants back behind the skippies

And then start her up! My water temps were 50 yesterday but I think will be raising a couple temps a day since we are in the 60's no clouds and the pond is in full sun.

My fish were fallowing me around yesterday when I was in the pond cleaning it eating everything I was stirring up. Silly fishies!

After that I'll just need to wait a little longer to plant the bog, pond and floating island I made this winter.

I love spring!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Man pecan that is a lot of work you are doing in such a short time period! What you are doing sounds great. I keep my lilies down about 18" here and they do fine. Way down at the floor would be a pain to have to drag them out and repot. Do you have rocks on the bottom for looks or for the fish to hide near? I don't put them in my pond cuz I can't ever see them way down below like that anyways and they are a bugger to swoop my net around when cleaning the bottom. I just keep the bottom bare. Just wondering if they are a hindrance to your cleaning?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pecan...will you come help me? i dont know if i could keep up with you by the looks of your post!....youve got some spunk in ya!...keep it up!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Man pecan that is a lot of work you are doing in such a short time period! What you are doing sounds great. I keep my lilies down about 18" here and they do fine. Way down at the floor would be a pain to have to drag them out and repot. Do you have rocks on the bottom for looks or for the fish to hide near? I don't put them in my pond cuz I can't ever see them way down below like that anyways and they are a bugger to swoop my net around when cleaning the bottom. I just keep the bottom bare. Just wondering if they are a hindrance to your cleaning?

I did not have rocks on the bottom. Only around the edge, but many were completely submerged and cause a mess with leaves and gunk, so I pulled all of them out that were completely underwater. I still have the rock ring around the edge.

I do have two large rocks in the pond with flat slabs resting on the rock and the edge to give the fishies places to hide. I also have a floating planter they like to stay underneath.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here is an update. I got everything done beside a minor glitch with my 100 gallon skippy which is not running ( https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/8585-pump-water-pressure-question/page__fromsearch__1 ) and I ran short on rocks so I'll have to make another trip out to the desert early tomorrow morning.

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

DSCN1743.jpg

DSCN1744.jpg

DSCN1745.jpg

DSCN1746.jpg

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg

Here are a couple pics from last year and what it used to look like...

DSCN0762.jpg

And the back of the falls

DSCN1247.jpg

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Pecan you really did some work today. I like the way you put the grate on the top of your filter media. Right now I've got mine in mesh laundry bags, but I may change it and add the 2nd grate. I didn't use the light grate in ours. The bread man at my grocery store left me a few of the bread racks they use and they worked great in my skippy. :razz: Looking forward to seeing more pics.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All looks very good pecan and you will fix that problem w/the skippy's in no time I'm sure.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic job! You did wonderful. It looks great.

hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
pheww... Done with this small project. I still need to re-pot my lilies but that can wait till tomorrow. Next up get the flower beds ready.

DSCN1758.jpg

DSCN1757.jpg

DSCN1756.jpg

DSCN1755.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1752.jpg

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks fantastic pecan and looks like you got it all working perfect now! You have a nice looking yard and once you get your flower beds going it will be even nicer!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful, what a great job you have done.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pecan looks great. Couple of questions.

Can you take a close up pic of your island?

What kind of tree is that in your pond?

How far over does your deck hang over the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pecan looks great. Couple of questions.

Can you take a close up pic of your island?

What kind of tree is that in your pond?

How far over does your deck hang over the pond?

Here is the island. I made from a $15 sheet (4'x8') of pink foam from HD. I used a jig saw to cut it out which worked very well and sand paper to smooth the edges. I will plant three potted marginals in the large holes and some bare root plants like creeping jenny, watercress and water celery in the smaller holes. I put some plastic plants in it just for fun but will probably pull them when I plant it. I think the plants should grow enough to completely cover it. I just anchored it to the deepest center part of the pond (about 40" deep) tonight to give the fish some cover when they are down there.

DSCN1760.jpg

The tree is little baby bald cypress.

The deck hangs over just enough to cover the edge (about an inch or two). I built it and just laid it down over the liner to cover that end and give me a place to hang out and look at the fishies. Last summer I woke up a half an hour early for work every day, sat out there, drink my coffee and watched the fish. I can't wait till it warms up a little more and is light out at 6 am.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have been thinking about making some changed to my skippy. I'm having problems getting a good seal around my 4" return pipe. I used a closet flange to and bolts and lots of cauking. What did you do to get a good seal with the your liner and the outlet tubes?

Very nice looking pond. I would love to have a pond like that, but my back yard isn't flat enough.

Ask a Question