Not able to view videos

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To Moderators: I think this has just been since the upgrade (?), but on posts where there is a video included, all I'm seeing is a blank space in that posters message.

Reaction score
I can see the videos on my desktop computer running Firefox. I can not see the videos on my iPad. I haven't got a current copy of Safari anywhere, so haven't tested it. Reminds me, must go see chook on a leash video .....

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, I've noticed this on a few sites lately, Here and two other for sure, In fact made comment about it to someone today. When you click on the video does the screen come up at all? If so try watching in full screen, Bottom right hand corner. This has worked for me a few times. At this point I haven't heard of any issues but Ian may check in on this and see if it's site related or not

Reaction score
Larkin, on my iPad, I don't see anything, just a big white space. Nothing to click. I'll try some other forums where I use to be able to wach youtube videos. Flash of course, has never worked on an iPad.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
TM, I've noticed this on a few sites lately, Here and two other for sure, In fact made comment about it to someone today. When you click on the video does the screen come up at all? If so try watching in full screen, Bottom right hand corner. This has worked for me a few times. At this point I haven't heard of any issues but Ian may check in on this and see if it's site related or not
There's nothing there to click on -- just blank space. If you didn't know there was supposed to be a video there, you'd think the poster simply went "return-key" crazy :). Never had this happen before... And it's only been in the past couple of weeks that I've noticed it. I am on GPF almost exclusively with my iPad if that could be important (?).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no problem here, all is working fine I can see all videos posted here and other sites.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I must be losing it, literally AND figuratively :). I wanted to see if the issue resolved itself, so tried to go back and re-view the posts where I was having trouble, but can't find them! ARGH!!!! Not saying that the vids were showing, but that I can't find the posts themselves...... I'll try searching some more, knowing that being able to give specific examples would be helpful.

I did clear my cache, as per JW's suggestion, and am about to re-boot (my hubby's solution to 99% of computer woes).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved this post to the feedback section, as it's guaranteed that I'll see it if it's in there :). Bex is still out of action, but will hopefully be back online a little more in a few weeks.

Here's a test video so that people can see if it works:

I'm looking in to why it may not appear for some people and testing it on my iPad and PC - I'll report back in a bit.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
OK, it looks like it works on my PC, but not in Safari on iOS devices... I'll see if there's a way to get this working. It could be that youtube have changed their embedding code.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've re-written the video container to use the latest YouTube code, so it should now auto-detect and work on multiple devices. It's going to take a few hours for me to roll this out across the site, but if the video works in this thread then it should work across the whole site later on today :).

Ask a Question