Not Loving My Numbers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The executive summary is my phosphate level is off the Pond Master chart (in excess of 10 ppm) and I'm wondering whether I should try to manage that or simply wait watchfully.

My pond is just three weeks old and I'm brand-new to this. The Ph is 7.5 to 8, which seems tolerable; the ammonia and nitrite appear to be indistinguishable from zero. My tap water's phosphate level is also roughly zero, so that's not the problem. (The tap water was treated with Seachem Prime before it went in the pond.)

I had an algae bloom for awhile but it has disappeared and the pond water looks extremely clear. The single, very small fantail goldfish seems frisky.

I have two plants in potting bags. When I repotted the plants I put one fertilizer tab into each of the two bags. Both plants seem quite happy (the pickerel rush in particular puts out new shoots like crazy).

My best guess is that those two fertilizer tabs account for the crazy high phosphate level.

What, if anything, should I do about the high phosphate level? Since the water is very clear and the fish and plants seem happy, my inclination is to simply wait but keep a careful eye on the life, water and phosphate level. My hunch is to avoid some chemical treatment of the phosphate level unless one or more of those things goes south. But my experience at this is virtually nil, so I will appreciate your wisdom. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I may have missed this in another thread - how big is your pond? Fertilizer can indeed cause high phosphates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Tiny. It's a tile-lined tank built in to a brick riser of my front patio, 50 gallons.

Would you wait watchfully, or intervene in some way? And if you have an opinion, teach me by telling me why! Thanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In my opinion, your high reading is from the fertilizer. 50 gallons is tiny! I would not do anything as long as the fish and plants are good. If it isn't broke- don't fix it! What media are the plants in? Kitty litter- pure clay variety is the go-to pond media. Your single fish would probably like a friend which means you are going to have to think about expanding to a bigger pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The plant medium is a mixture of calcined clay and zeolite (it is API's aquatic plant medium). Expanding that pond is not in the cards. When I get a new home, the pond will be bigger. I do plan to add another fantail when the current fantail's been there for a month. At least some people think two fantails will not overly tax this small volume of water.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Ask a Question