Not pond related, pool filter problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey all,
Maybe those if you with a pool can help me out.

What type of filters do you all use?

I have a Hayward D.E. filter (EC-30) on an above ground 15 foot round pool. If I recall correctly, the pool is 5200 gallons.

So, I turn on the filter for the first time this year, add the D.E. and I hear a pop and water gushes out of the main filter body. A vertical crack developed from almost top to bottom.

Now, the whole setup, pool and filter are probably 24-25 years old. I've had to replace the motor a few times. The only problem I've had with the filter itself was a small crack that I repaired with fiberglass years back. That repair is still good and is not related to this enormous crack.
I imagine the plastic has gotten old and brittle and just gave out.

So, what to do?
Try fiberglassing the long crack?
Take it all apart and fiberglass the crack from both inside and out?
Buy a new body which is just under $200 and hope that everything inside is ok and all I need is the body? I'll probably need all the gaskets or any rubber parts, etc.
Or bite the big one and buy a whole new filter?

This pool is very old and it looks it too. I can envision it not lasting much longer. Maybe 3-5 years if i were to guess.

There are DE filters, cartridge filters and sand filters that I see. Maybe there are other types?

Personally, I would get rid of the whole thing, it's just too much work, but my wife loves pools!

Any suggestions?
Should I add a bog to my pool instead? :D:giggle::oops: just kidding!

Ask a Question