tdc

Me and Charley
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
Germany
Hello to one and all.
I was last on this forum quite a few months ago. Quite a lot has happened since then!!
I wont go into details but we have a new roof!!
But the pond survived and were raring to go.
As a consequence all my computer info was destroyed hence starting afresh.

I have a quick question
does water evaporation cause anyone a problem?
The water level in our pond appears to be going down more than I would have expected.
The weather here has been up and down (in more ways than one)!
The days can go from 20 to 28 degrees and it has been windy most of the summer.
The pond is in full sunlight upto 1900 these days.

The pond liner is good quality so a leak is unlikely but not impossible.

Any suggestions much appreciated and hopefully I can contribute more in the future.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hard steady Winds will cause my pond level to go down

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If the pond's water level drops erratically (differing amounts each day or week), it is evaporation.
If the pond's water drops a consistent amount daily or weekly, it is a leak.
I never thought about it like that. Thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, TDC! Hello and welcome back! Glad you came back. But you'll need to fill us in on all your info.....all over again, LOL! Where are you from (I see your flag, but I'm pretty clueless) and how big is your pond? Do you have a waterfall? Do you have rocks around the edge of the pond?

I agree with the above, and like @cas, I never thought about it that way, either, so thank you @Meyer Jordan!

When you say that the water level has been going down more than expected, can you give us an idea about how much and over what kind of time period? Are you noticing wet spots anywhere where there shouldn't be?

We've recently had a thread where evaporation vs leaking was discussed and I was surprised to learn just how much water CAN be lost through evaporation. So, high temps and wind are big factors. So are waterfalls and rocks -- that's why I asked. I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link.

tdc

Me and Charley
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
Germany
Hi
thanks for the responses, all interesting.
From the UK (West Yorkshire) but now living in Germany close to the Danish border (10km).
How we ended up in Germany is a story all in its own!
The photo shows the first pond which is bordered by stone and there is a waterfall which you can just see at the bottom of the photo. I guess this answers the evaporation issue.
In the Autumn I am going to be making some adjustments to the pond. Moving the filters to a more accessible position and relaying the pipe work from in the pond to the outer edge. I am getting a lot of algae sticking to the pipes which looks unsightly.
At the top of the photo you can just make out our second pond which was finished March 2015. We have made it appear that the two are connected by a stream but in actual fact they are two separate ponds.
We are keeping this pond for plants which we may move to the other when they get well established.
Will check out the threads later.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 234

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice pond and plants and evaporation is always a big problem .I put in a new 45 mil liner in last year after moles chewed through my almost new liner i put in 4 years before .Also been through the puter died and had to go from my beloved vista to a new one and still trying to figure it out .Ask me how new puter is after 4 years when i learn how it works before it dies also :);) love little charley .Last time I was in Germany was 44 years ago .One cold cold winter Very cold winter

Ask a Question