Not sure how to make this stream join the pond [call me "stream-challenged"...]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Isn't it funny how you can feel so confident about something......until it gets down to the actual DOING IT! :eek:

(BTW, this is the little stream [think small scale] that will be feeding into the pond from the turtle habitat.)

For the walls of the stream I plan to use landscape edging [and an EPDM liner over that]. I'm OK with everything construction-wise until I get to the actual pond, and I'm sure this is just a newbie-issue, but.....

The landscape edging will be supported and held in place by stakes, up to this point, but what happens when I get to the pond edge? (n)The only solution I can think of to support the edging is by stacking and mortaring [flat] rocks in place on either side of the stream outlet to support the edging. (n) I'm already planning to use flat stones around the perimeter of the pond, so this would tie it all in. Would that work???

I've made some drawings that may or may not explain it. (I don't mean to insult anyone:barefoot: by including the drawings, but they help ME to visualize it and sometimes also lead to those "ah, HA!" moments where I can see problems [or solutions] that I couldn't see otherwise.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

(@fishin4cars I almost forgot to tag you, Larkin!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like the drawings! So the entire stream is above ground level? You could build up with dirt to hold the edges a bit. I don't imagine the water will be very deep unless you have tremendous flow so you shouldnt have to build up too high.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the drawings! So the entire stream is above ground level? You could build up with dirt to hold the edges a bit. I don't imagine the water will be very deep unless you have tremendous flow so you shouldnt have to build up too high.
Yes, it's more or less above ground, as is the bog. I'm building a berm that will surround the entire area of the stream [like your suggestion....], right up to the point where it meets the pond. It's that area that goes over and covers the edge of the pond that I'm concerned about.

Yeah, everything has to be accessible to the turtles, and they're little guys.
image.jpg

There is a point, though were a fence is going to bisect the stream, so where stream-meets-pond won't be turtle-accessible.
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are great drawings TM. I found that drawing stuff helped me visualize my waterfall build as well. Although it was unrecognizable to others it helped me see how to tie in all the pieces together and be able to see the whole picture. If you are building a berm up to the edge of the pond, could you use the waterfall foam and just some smaller rocks to direct the water when you get to the edge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it's more or less above ground, as is the bog. I'm building a berm that will surround the entire area of the stream [like your suggestion....], right up to the point where it meets the pond. It's that area that goes over and covers the edge of the pond that I'm concerned about.

Yeah, everything has to be accessible to the turtles, and they're little guys.
View attachment 75532

There is a point, though were a fence is going to bisect the stream, so where stream-meets-pond won't be turtle-accessible.
View attachment 75533

Hey Maria I cant help you build your waterfall but I'll bet the turtles will have fun with the water slide your making for them ,WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ........."SPLASH"!!!!!!........:ROFLMAO::LOL::):happy:;) (y).

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
  • My stream was shallow and very difficult to build since I had no idea what I was doing. LOL
  • I recommend your stream flow into your pond from a elevated position several inches above and hanging over the pond. I did this and it worked perfectly.
The stream was evidently removed because I thought it was the cause of a major pond leak. I was wrong. The leak was in the pond. Evidently the liner was changed and pond rebuilt. Hope this somewhat helps. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

stream flow into pond.jpg
Pond stream end dry.jpg
Stream (53).JPG
Waterfall & Stream 2007.jpg

Attachments

• stream flow into pond early design dry.jpg
    stream flow into pond early design dry.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Maria I cant help you build your waterfall but I'll bet the turtles will have fun with the water slide your making for them ,WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ........."SPLASH"!!!!!!........:ROFLMAO::LOL::):happy:;) (y).

Dave
Opps sorry should have read Hey Maggie (why do I tend to get you guys mixed up from time to time ) please forgive me :happy:

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I might be taking a change in direction here. I'm now looking into the possibility of [somehow] attaching a bulkhead at the exit point of the bog, and using PVC pipe as the conduit for the water return to the pond instead of a stream...... I started thinking that if I have the stream part accessible to the turtles, they are going to be tracking dirt & debris into the clean water that's returning to the pond. Worse yet, they tend to poop in their water, which means there will be fresh turtle-turds heading straight into the pond! At least when they poop in the bog, the poop will have time to be "bogged" before it heads back into the pond. And since the turtles will have 100% access to the bog, having a stream is secondary to having clean water in the pond.

Would that work with a bog? See drawings.... And how would/could I do it.....add the bulkhead, since now there's just an opening with nothing to attach a bulkhead to? The water going into the bog is 1-1/2" PVC.
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will the PVC pipe be underground? About how far between the bog and pond? Is the turtle bog at a higher elavation than the pond? Will try to get it drawn up on the PC tomorrow.

Thanks, Lou!

1. Technically, the PVC will be above ground, but if I go this route, I'll cover it with dirt to connect / incorporate it into the berm, then plant around it.
  2. It's 10' distance, but there will be a curve which makes it a little longer.
  3. The turtle bog is only about 3" higher than the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Couldn't you incorporate some type of screen or filter before it hits the stream so you don't have to get rid of it? Even a few larger rocks placed at the head of the stream would stop the larger debris from filtering down.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Couldn't you incorporate some type of screen or filter before it hits the stream so you don't have to get rid of it? Even a few larger rocks placed at the head of the stream would stop the larger debris from filtering down.
I thought about that, but it's going to be a small stream -- I'd be afraid that if I did anything like that, it would increase the danger of a blockage (from other debris, leaves, etc.), resulting in a water overflow.....

Ask a Question