Not sure if I'm doing this right....Ledges

Reaction score
I have started the digging and have come to think about ledges. Take a look at the pics and please tell me if this is the way that ledges should be dug. Do I put ledges all around the pond and at what heights. I want to get to know this before I get farther in the excavation phase. Can you go overboard in putting ledges in? The way I understand it is, ground level then ledge then pond floor. Since I am a newbie to all this your inputs are welcome. Also do I need to leave a ledge for the skimmer at the end of the pond if I go with one. :) Thanks

Attachments

• ledge1.jpg
    ledge1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 390
  • ledge5.jpg
    ledge5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 362

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Ledges provide perfect standing places for predators to fish. Skimmers are traps for fish. Best to avoid both.:)

Reaction score
BBK here is a vey rough sketch of the shape of the pond to be. Apologies for the drawing I am using MS Paint and it really sucks. All features are proposed and nothing etched in stone yet. Notice the downward slope from waterfall to skimmer. Wadda u think about that as well. Thanks :)

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Ledges provide perfect standing places for predators to fish. Skimmers are traps for fish. Best to avoid both.:)
Hey DrDave,

Very good points on both. I was thinking the same thing. Just thought they would make good spots to put marginals in. I guess you saved me some thinking, I can just go straight down to pond floor from here. What do you think about the smooth downward slope of the pond? I am at the 18" level left to excavate downward. I think it would make it alot easier to clean, vacuum etc. Thoughts......

BBK

Reaction score
You might want to think about adding islands as a type of ledge that way predators can't get to your fish from them.

Reaction score
BBK said:
You might want to think about adding islands as a type of ledge that way predators can't get to your fish from them.
You mean 'islands' as in the middle of the pond. Just raised ones made out of bricks, pavers etc.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The sides should be steep.
I made a floating island several years ago and it is still there today with lots of growth in it. My water lettuce around it, keep it in the middle of the pond. It provides shade when the water lettuce is sparse during winter months.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i also agree about not having ledges but not because of preditors ... muck tends to settle on them and if to shallow in a lot of sun blanket weed !! or at least thats the problem i have .. an island of some sort is also a good place for the fish to hide

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Maybe tomorrow. Basically, I took a flat from a nursery and added a PVC frame around it, like a life preserver. Then I weaved Hyssop and parrots feather into it and added a couple water lettuce. Oh, some duckweed got in there as well and has done excellant.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When I think my pond needs skimming, I take a 5 gallon bucket out, skim the pond and 10 minutes later the pond is done and my plants are happy. BTW, so are the fish that didn't get killed.

Skimmers and bottom drains are for pools not ponds. UV is for salt water aquariums and adds little value to ponds. If you are rich, then these can provide a little help at a cost that for most is prohibitive. I find that these are used by lazy people who won't perform the maintenance required to properly keep a pond healthy.

Ponders have to love their hobby. The rest are what I call "Appliance Operators".

As a ham radio operator, we have the same scenario, those who buy everything and those who are dedicated to the hobby.

Reaction score
Dr. Dave,
have you stocked your pond with minnows? the opening on the skimmer i'll have will be ~3/8". hmmm.
you must live in an area without trees or you, your ham radio and your bucket would be outside alot in the fall.
$440 for liner and pump to more than match 12'x12'x3' pond! i think Apache hose sells flexible hose pretty cheap and the rest of the filter and SKIMMER should be less than $100. so, $540 means i'm over budget $40 and don't have much more to go.

Then it is the girlfriends turn to spend $1,000's of dollars on plants, fish and decorations. yah, while i'm out finding more rocks out in the country. just the way things go around here

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
roscogruen said:
Dr. Dave,
have you stocked your pond with minnows? the opening on the skimmer i'll have will be ~3/8". hmmm.
you must live in an area without trees or you, your ham radio and your bucket would be outside alot in the fall.
$440 for liner and pump to more than match 12'x12'x3' pond! i think Apache hose sells flexible hose pretty cheap and the rest of the filter and SKIMMER should be less than $100. so, $540 means i'm over budget $40 and don't have much more to go.

Then it is the girlfriends turn to spend $1,000's of dollars on plants, fish and decorations. yah, while i'm out finding more rocks out in the country. just the way things go around here

I am a Koi breeder, Where did the minnow come from??? Have you ever seen a 24" minnow?
I have Coral trees over all my ponds and I clean the leaves daily. They drop a lot of leaves, but they are large.
If you are not willing to work at having a pond, then hire someone to do it for you. Skimmers are traps for fish.

Ask a Question