Not sure if I'm doing this right....Ledges

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by y2kdejesus, Jul 11, 2009.

1. y2kdejesus

y2kdejesus

I have started the digging and have come to think about ledges. Take a look at the pics and please tell me if this is the way that ledges should be dug. Do I put ledges all around the pond and at what heights. I want to get to know this before I get farther in the excavation phase. Can you go overboard in putting ledges in? The way I understand it is, ground level then ledge then pond floor. Since I am a newbie to all this your inputs are welcome. Also do I need to leave a ledge for the skimmer at the end of the pond if I go with one. :) Thanks

Attached Files:

y2kdejesus, Jul 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. y2kdejesus

BBK

Its hard to tell what the actual shape of the pond is.

BBK, Jul 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. y2kdejesus

DrDave Innovator Moderator

Ledges provide perfect standing places for predators to fish. Skimmers are traps for fish. Best to avoid both.:)

DrDave, Jul 11, 2009
  4. y2kdejesus

y2kdejesus

BBK here is a vey rough sketch of the shape of the pond to be. Apologies for the drawing I am using MS Paint and it really sucks. All features are proposed and nothing etched in stone yet. Notice the downward slope from waterfall to skimmer. Wadda u think about that as well. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

y2kdejesus, Jul 11, 2009
  5. y2kdejesus

y2kdejesus

Hey DrDave,

Very good points on both. I was thinking the same thing. Just thought they would make good spots to put marginals in. I guess you saved me some thinking, I can just go straight down to pond floor from here. What do you think about the smooth downward slope of the pond? I am at the 18" level left to excavate downward. I think it would make it alot easier to clean, vacuum etc. Thoughts......

y2kdejesus, Jul 11, 2009
  6. y2kdejesus

BBK

You might want to think about adding islands as a type of ledge that way predators can't get to your fish from them.

BBK, Jul 11, 2009
  7. y2kdejesus

y2kdejesus

You mean 'islands' as in the middle of the pond. Just raised ones made out of bricks, pavers etc.

y2kdejesus, Jul 11, 2009
  8. y2kdejesus

The sides should be steep.
    I made a floating island several years ago and it is still there today with lots of growth in it. My water lettuce around it, keep it in the middle of the pond. It provides shade when the water lettuce is sparse during winter months.

DrDave, Jul 11, 2009
  9. y2kdejesus

stroppy stroppy

i also agree about not having ledges but not because of preditors ... muck tends to settle on them and if to shallow in a lot of sun blanket weed !! or at least thats the problem i have .. an island of some sort is also a good place for the fish to hide

stroppy, Jul 11, 2009
  10. y2kdejesus

leeannecastro

Dr Dave. I am intrigued by your floating island. Do you have pics?

leeannecastro, Jul 13, 2009
  11. y2kdejesus

Maybe tomorrow. Basically, I took a flat from a nursery and added a PVC frame around it, like a life preserver. Then I weaved Hyssop and parrots feather into it and added a couple water lettuce. Oh, some duckweed got in there as well and has done excellant.

DrDave, Jul 13, 2009
  12. y2kdejesus

roscogruen

Dr. Dave,
    did you suggest not using skimmers b/c they are fish traps?
    what can we use instead?
    r

roscogruen, Jul 15, 2009
  13. y2kdejesus

When I think my pond needs skimming, I take a 5 gallon bucket out, skim the pond and 10 minutes later the pond is done and my plants are happy. BTW, so are the fish that didn't get killed.

Skimmers and bottom drains are for pools not ponds. UV is for salt water aquariums and adds little value to ponds. If you are rich, then these can provide a little help at a cost that for most is prohibitive. I find that these are used by lazy people who won't perform the maintenance required to properly keep a pond healthy.

Ponders have to love their hobby. The rest are what I call "Appliance Operators".

As a ham radio operator, we have the same scenario, those who buy everything and those who are dedicated to the hobby.

DrDave, Jul 15, 2009
  14. y2kdejesus

roscogruen

Dr. Dave,
    have you stocked your pond with minnows? the opening on the skimmer i'll have will be ~3/8". hmmm.
    you must live in an area without trees or you, your ham radio and your bucket would be outside alot in the fall.
    $440 for liner and pump to more than match 12'x12'x3' pond! i think Apache hose sells flexible hose pretty cheap and the rest of the filter and SKIMMER should be less than $100. so, $540 means i'm over budget $40 and don't have much more to go.

Then it is the girlfriends turn to spend $1,000's of dollars on plants, fish and decorations. yah, while i'm out finding more rocks out in the country. just the way things go around here

roscogruen, Jul 16, 2009
  15. y2kdejesus

I am a Koi breeder, Where did the minnow come from??? Have you ever seen a 24" minnow?
    I have Coral trees over all my ponds and I clean the leaves daily. They drop a lot of leaves, but they are large.
    If you are not willing to work at having a pond, then hire someone to do it for you. Skimmers are traps for fish.

DrDave, Jul 16, 2009
  16. y2kdejesus

roscogruen

A breeder would not want to run a skimmer or the babies would be sucked up. understood.
    i'm working on rebuilding an area of earth removed to reposition pond. Any ideas?

roscogruen, Jul 16, 2009
  17. y2kdejesus

JohnR

LOL, I wouldn't have a pond without a skimmer. Call me lazy I guess. Not to say that I never have to dump a fish back in the pond from the basket but still far less work than removing debris by hand.

JohnR, Jul 16, 2009
  18. y2kdejesus

Eggs are harvested from the pond and placed elsewhere. That said, skimmers are for pools...
    They make skimmer nets and there are buckets, I use both.
    A waterfall with a biofilter in the body of it with the overflow returning to the pond is the best possible scenario. I use submersible pumps and each has a specific purpose. I also have backups which can be put into service within minutes of a failure.

DrDave, Jul 16, 2009
  19. y2kdejesus

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

i have no experience with skimmers or bottom drains, so i cant make an educated statement on them. but i cant see any reason to cut holes in my liner for things that may be convenient but certainly not neccessary, i maintain a pond that by most peoples standards is way over stocked. my water parameters are always ideal, its mid july and i have no alge to speak of in my pond(even the string alge is already gone).. under the shade of my lillies in the center of my pond i can still see the print on the liner. and i am in full sun 10+ hours a day. i have one 70 gallon skippy filter,one 1200 gallon per hour pump drawing from two barrel style prefilters. i walk out to the pond every morning with my coffee anyways, so if theres a few leaves or whatnot in the pond. the minute or 2 it might take to get them out is not too much trouble. i think aside of other reasons, that skimmers and bottom drains are just 2 more possible leaks waiting to happen. i could be wrong. but what im doing works and works real well, out side of occasionally skimming by hand. my maintainence consists of dropping the hose in every few days and turning it on for 10 minutes. i will say i use a u.v sterilizer,BUT i let my pond go green early in seaon purposely,turn the u.v on,it usually takes 3 or 4 days to clear the water..when the water clears i run it for a few extra days. for about a week or so total runtime. disconnect it clean it and put it away. i find this to be SIMPLICITY AT ITS BEST!!

koiguy1969, Jul 16, 2009
  20. y2kdejesus

roscogruen

Dr. Dave,
    from where does your pump pull? aren't you afraid your pump might serve as a koi sausage maker? if you pull from near the top and you've a screen, that is a skimmer

roscogruen, Jul 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question