Not what you want to find in your pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This was yesterday, from a neighborhood pond/lake not far from us. The big one was 12.5’ long!

1689E460-5AD7-441E-A7F9-3E52E050E067.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good news they're both outta the pond and not in your pond (or mine.) Dang, the 12.5' one is huge. I do not like the smirk on the little one's face. It has some mischief planned.
I don’t know the details of the situation. It’s possible that the gator was going after a resident or a pet. This is a small pond/lake. But I watched a video and they were dragging it out of the water by the time the video was being shot — at which time, the gator was shot in the head. He was fighting and rolling — if was fierce. I wish I knew more. They usually relocate them unless there was a reason not to. Too many questions.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why did they kill the big one?
Someone mentioned that “they don’t relocate them if they’re over 8’ long.” I can’t say that is a fact, but these excepts from the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife do mention “nuisance“ gators. Since this is a very concentrated, family oriented neighborhood, and this local pond/lake is very small and central to the neighborhood, maybe they……IDK.……. Seems like a 12.5 footer deserves some respect….in a preserve….or something. R.I.P.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you wouldn't have a pond for long with those claws tearing at your pond

Ask a Question