Now that another “pond season” is winding down....how do you plan to occupy your time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Another good two to watch are chef John from food wishes.com, and the real deal cooking with Bruno Alboleze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love your style!
I've been enjoying watching you transform your home and garden.
Keep it up, you're doing a wonderful job and thank you for sharing!

Thank you @Gemma it's been a challenging but fun process since I know you enjoy the progress I will keep sharing. The next big transformation will be the theater room. Currently in a let's ensure this idea is going to work stage.
20181207_115227.jpg
20181207_115255.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
"Thank you @Gemma it's been a challenging but fun process since I know you enjoy the progress I will keep sharing."

@Telion I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one enjoying your postings!
I have the tendency to spend all my time, money and energies fixing up the outdoor, but eventually I will have to turn my focus inside the house cause it desperately need uplifting...I just don't have any ideas what furniture, decor, style.....and that's why I love following others
So far I love everything you've done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Gemma , since you love the out doors, bring that natural look inside. Cream walls with forest green trim, or natural wood trim, fabrics in prints of plants and flowers, shelves full of potted plants, random stones, crystals, feathers you’ve found... I’ll be the first to say my house needs it too. I’ll cover my existing dull blue kitchen counters with a copper colored epoxy from stonecoatcountertops.com, I’m going to ease the brown on brown in the bathroom by painting the tile with a kit from daich coatings, if your interested in that, google roller rock cause I may have spelled the company name wrong. A gallon of paint can change how a room feels! And a good stain will fix drab tires looking wood. I’ve got major projects planned for the upcoming year to do that here. Living room, kitchen, my bedroom, and bathroom all need work. But I won’t be able to get started till at least after January 8th when dad gets surgery to fix his shoulder, cause then he won’t be able to jump in!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Germany
Have enough pets to keep me occupied lol 2 Aquariums, 1 tank with my Yellow Eared Slider and the family dog. Do plan later in winter to start with growing my veggie seedlings indoors, to put outdoors after we get the last frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haha, I’ve got 5 indoor cats, plus the room mates two, plus my moms one. Room mates dog, plus my moms three. I set my three shubinkin up in a tank inside for winter, plus 5 cockatiels, of which a pair have decided to breed. I’ll know in 30 days if that number will be going up!
The good news is the room mate should be getting a place of her own in the next month or two, and mom will eventually be taking her critters back. She’s out of state taking care of my ex step dad, he has multiple heart attacks and a 5 way bipass. She is his care giver now, and once he’s strong enough/ healthy enough, and they can get his disability/ help set up and transferred, he will be moving out here with her. Then I’ll be happily back to dogs out side only, reduced cats inside, and birds back at her place! If the breeding pair do hatch a chick, it’ll be here with them till it’s fledging. Fresh hatched baby birds are cute. I grew up assisting the parents on feedings, so if I find what I need, this baby and any others that may come will be very social birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My sister has one of those birds and it lays eggs and sits on them but no male to fertilize them. She gets very evil protective when she is in the brooding mode!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We are up to two eggs. Both parents are sitting on them, being protective of the nest, typical of nesting parents. Your sister might get her a male, or some fake eggs. Laying with out a mate and going broody can harm the females health, with a male, they’ll take turns, and she can sell the babies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JamieB I did suggest she get a male but she does not want to deal w/all that. I'll tell her about the fake eggs but will that stop her from laying her own eggs and hurting her health?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@JamieB I did suggest she get a male but she does not want to deal w/all that. I'll tell her about the fake eggs but will that stop her from laying her own eggs and hurting her health?
Birds have a biological need to multiply the species. Chickens were bred to produce los of eggs, and their farmers give them calcium and other supliments to support them. Less domestic birds feel a need to try and multiply. Doing things to discourage that activity or making it unsuitable is her best option. Provide a cuttlebone, bare bottom cage, no box to nest in, reduce the triggers. A bird won’t breed if there is no suitable location. As for a false egg, if she can find or make one, she would have to be able to place one in every day to simulate how a clutch grows. Cockatiels lay every other day. I should have three in there today.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @JamieB I will let her know but I don't think she has anything in there that would encourage the bird to lay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks @JamieB I will let her know but I don't think she has anything in there that would encourage the bird to lay.
All it takes is newspaper. Some birds just lay eggs regardless, but lighting, temperature, and feed all play a roll. Just like with fish! I am actively encouraging the birds, cause babies mean money, but if she doesn’t, she may consider covering the cage part of the day to reduce “daylight “

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finished phase 1 of the theater room, which was get the basics in place. Placing the furniture and electronics and some of the acoustic baffle boards. Phase 2 will be more acoustic work and setting up the snack bar or reworking the screen so it is no he a pull down and is more of a fixed mounted screen. Carpet and base boards need to go too but the carpet will have to wait till the money situation is better.

20181223_191558.jpg

20181223_191525.jpg

Ask a Question