Nualgi Ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm very skeptical about products that remove algae because of their chemical makeup.
Normally I use a UV to clear up pea soup algae and Hydrogen peroxide to combat String algae.
A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by the manufacturers of Nugali Ponds and we had a long discussion about their product. My small pond has been covered all winter with the UV shut off. II has stayed crystal clear all Winter.
I started feeding a little food to the koi and that is when I started to get pea soup algae.
So when they offered a free sample I agreed to give it a try, especially when they said it was none toxic if if I drank it myself.
So I stated a treatment last Saturday and I'm amazed at the results so far.
day1-2.jpg

48-1.jpg

Attachments

• day1-2.jpg
    day1-2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 307

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So what is the name of the stuff and sorry no matter how non toxic ,i would not drink it ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember seeing this before .I think on youtube but not sure

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Like you, I am skeptical not only of algaecides but also any pond treatment. Most have negative effects on the aquatic system that the manufacturers conveniently omit disclosing. Same when I first heard of Nualgi. Like you, I was contacted and offered a free sample. I used this as an opening to find out more about this product. I contacted the developer/owner by email and expressed my concerns. I received a very prompt reply explaining in detail the basic formulation of this product. As you probably know it is biologic not chemical. It is basically a container of live diatoms. Diatoms are well known for their rapid use of Nitrate. Their rate of assimilation far outpaces any other specie of planktonic algae. As a result, the existing 'pea soup' algae is quickly starved and disappears. Once the Nitrate level is reduced the diatoms also die off. No hidden side effects that may adversely affect fish or any other aquatic organisms. The product actually works and IS safe.
That is the good news. The bad news is the diatoms, as stated, die off and sink to the bottom of the pond where they decompose and, you guessed it, release organics back into the water column to start the process all over again.
The only real long term cure for algae proliferation is identifying the source(s) of the nutrients and eliminating it(them).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like you, I am skeptical not only of algaecides but also any pond treatment. Most have negative effects on the aquatic system that the manufacturers conveniently omit disclosing. Same when I first heard of Nualgi. Like you, I was contacted and offered a free sample. I used this as an opening to find out more about this product. I contacted the developer/owner by email and expressed my concerns. I received a very prompt reply explaining in detail the basic formulation of this product. As you probably know it is biologic not chemical. It is basically a container of live diatoms. Diatoms are well known for their rapid use of Nitrate. Their rate of assimilation far outpaces any other specie of planktonic algae. As a result, the existing 'pea soup' algae is quickly starved and disappears. Once the Nitrate level is reduced the diatoms also die off. No hidden side effects that may adversely affect fish or any other aquatic organisms. The product actually works and IS safe.
That is the good news. The bad news is the diatoms, as stated, die off and sink to the bottom of the pond where they decompose and, you guessed it, release organics back into the water column to start the process all over again.
The only real long term cure for algae proliferation is identifying the source(s) of the nutrients and eliminating it(them).
That's a good reason to have bottom drians and proper filtration.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I have good filtration and no bottom drain and no skimmer but yet i don't seem to see many problems with green water .I do know it looks a little tinted green but that is because of the good muck on the sides and bottom and what does this product do to the good muck .I like clear water but at what cost and is it just going to be more work .I can see the bottom of my pond which is 4 ft deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are many koi ponds that don't have natural eco systems. They have no muck on the bottoms.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There are many koi ponds that don't have natural eco systems. They have no muck on the bottoms.

I am speaking of DOC. Like I said.....a different discussion.
So, should this product not be used in a pond without a bottom drain?

It would appear to be quite safe to be used in any pond, if it is needed. If used in a prophylactic manner it could indeed upset the eco-system.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NUALGI is basically a clear 'silica' single cell algea / phytoplankton called diatoms.. feeds on nutrients in water, just as "green water" single cell algea, but a broader spectrum. most likely, a PLUS for most ponds. They out compete and starve out green water alge.

Last edited:

Ask a Question