Nursery Tank

Reaction score
The fish will be spawning in a couple months and I want to raise some babies. Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up a nursery tank?
Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you saying that you want to raise the fry of all of the different species?
To do this correctly you will likely need multiple tanks (one for each specie). And either these tanks need to be quite large or you will need additional tanks to provide for the fry as they grow.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not advise the use of any drum type container. These do not provide enough water surface area for the depth of the container. Stock tanks would be a much better choice.
Newly hatched fish larvae and the resulting fry are quite demanding as to water quality. You will certainly need sufficient biofiltration and water flow in whatever container you raise them in.
Outside tanks will work as long as they are protected from extremes in temperature.

Reaction score
Thanks. Will the plastic stock tanks work? BTW, I see you are in Pensacola. We live near Chipley and I bought my koi in Crestview.

Ask a Question