Nymphaea Pygmaea Rubra

Reaction score
Good morning All...I'm a newbie to the pond scene but so far fingers crossed i've only had one or two issues that some knowledgeable people on here have helped me with to great success but now I've a question re my Nymphaea Pygmaea Rubra.. neither of them have flowered. I bought them bare rooted and planted them according to the instructions but although we've had lots of leave and they have full sun for more than 4+ hours a day we've not seen any signs of a flower...would anyone have any ideas why? Thank you in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few of mine took their time to get blooming, they were small plants, bare rooted. It was a couple of months before they put up a bloom. Now that they have there is a few blooms a day and buds coming up. How long have you had it planted?

Sounds like a really neat lily.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Lorraine; how deep are they in the water? They are a true miniature and only need about 5 to 6 inches over the pot. Also, many of the bare-root plants I've seen were very small first-year plants, and didn't bloom until their second year. Also, would I be correct in assuming that your area may be somewhat sunshine-challenged? This could also affect their flowering. John

Reaction score
hiya, thanks for your replies...they are planted about 18ins deep and to be honest i think i underestimated the amount of sunshine the pond receives..i guess its nearer 6 hours a day. We have had plenty of leaves but no sign of a bloom.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I would try placing something under it to raise it by about one foot (or a little more). It's probably too late this year, but next spring you should see blooms. Remember to add a fertilizer tablet at the start of your growing season if your bio-load is low. John

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi im from suffolk. i purchase my lillies from seller philipbyerleywright[2536] on ebay uk. Their plants are fabulous and flowered many times this year [purchase in may] and are establised plants.If yours dont work out ....try the above next year.

Attachments

• DSC00370.JPG
    DSC00370.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC00371.JPG
    DSC00371.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC00416.JPG
    DSC00416.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC00417.JPG
    DSC00417.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00663.JPG
    DSC00663.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC00664.JPG
    DSC00664.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC00665.JPG
    DSC00665.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 285

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Terry; would you happen to know the variety name of pictures #4 and 6? They are all beautiful! John

whiskey

Reaction score
hi john ...yes i can ...there both the same lillies at differant times of year....some come out deep pink and some come out a really pastal pink....

Attachments

• DSC00332.JPG
    DSC00332.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 326

whiskey

Reaction score
hi john its none of them above.....just went on ebay ...back files ...it called NYMPHAEA "SUNNY PINK" WATER LILLY which i purchased in may of this year.....sorry for muck up folks.

Reaction score
Hiya, thanks for the reply. I'll look up the ebay seller and keep it in my favourites for next time. I agree they are beautiful lillies.
thanks again

Ask a Question