oak near pond

Reaction score
I have a tree near my pond that I would like to avoid problems with in the future. It is a young white Oak with is a slow growing tree which over enough time can get huge. I had intended to cut it down after I installed the pond. But I really appreciate the fact that it produces shade. I worry about a future root problem with my pond. I have cut the branches that were near the pound back so nothing of it hangs over the pond now. Does any one here know if I begin to trim the tree back now while it is small can I keep it small over time by once a year triming. I know with bonzi trees you only need roots large enough to match the canopy. So If I keep the top half small can I assume the roots will only grow to match it? Can I do things like fertilize on the opposite side of the tree away from the pond to encourage the roots to grow away from the pond. I have attached a photo that shows the tree. Any tree experts out there?

Attachments

• TREE.jpg
    TREE.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 332

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I dug a trench between my tree and pond, then installed Hardie Backer board as a barrier for roots.
As for directing the roots, they will go where they find water. They should not see the ponds water unless your liner has a leak.

A lot of arborists, cut back trees to just a stump with the major limbs left to get new growth in the spring. That may be the best way to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
the bonzai technique also includes trimming the roots of the plant in question to suppress growth. we literally remove the tree from the pot and cut the roots with scizzors in addition to trimming the shape above. just remember that, with an oak, there is as much tree material below the ground as above it in a full grown mature tree, like a reflection of the tree above. so if your tree gets really big, it needs that really big root network to compliment the foliage above. in a stiff wind a tree missing roots on one side is liable to fall because there are no roots holding it back in the opposite direction.

Ask a Question