Oase 8500 impeller jammed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disaster! My Oase 8500 suddenly stopped last night. By this morning I'd lost a number of fish.

I managed to get a new pump back in, first thing.

I have opened the old pump up but the impeller won't come out. It rotates, but only just.

I assume it is 100% toast? I'd like to fix it just so I have a spare.

Any tips on getting the impeller out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Disaster! My Oase 8500 suddenly stopped last night. By this morning I'd lost a number of fish.

I have opened the old pump up but the impeller won't come out. It rotates, but only just.

If no obvious impediment, then probably the impeller is wobbling and/ or being magnetized to the armature. Toast. Or, since you're ditching anyway, force it out with channel locks (or equivalent). You'd still need a new impeller, probably. Too, sometimes when you disassemble one end it doesn't always line up when you put it back (the impeller).

Reaction score
Country
United States

Welcome Rich! Try this: Unplug the pump from the socket (mains). Remove the pump from the pond and place it into an empty clean bucket. Do not connect the pump to any electrical outlet (mains). Use a garden hose with jet nozzle and blast water into the outlet side. Do this several times. Look in the bucket to see if any debris was removed. If not, (again, not connected to any electricity) disassemble the pump (on a work bench) and gently remove the impeller. Sometimes it is easier to remove a jammed impeller with the pump submerged in a bowl of warm water. Use care to capture washers (if any) that might separate from the impeller shaft. Clean the impeller with cool water and gently wipe away algae and debris. Clean the impeller cavity with a Q-tip. Hopefully, this will help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Rich! Try this: Unplug the pump from the socket (mains). Remove the pump from the pond and place it into an empty clean bucket. Do not connect the pump to any electrical outlet (mains). Use a garden hose with jet nozzle and blast water into the outlet side. Do this several times. Look in the bucket to see if any debris was removed. If not, (again, not connected to any electricity) disassemble the pump (on a work bench) and gently remove the impeller. Sometimes it is easier to remove a jammed impeller with the pump submerged in a bowl of warm water. Use care to capture washers (if any) that might separate from the impeller shaft. Clean the impeller with cool water and gently wipe away algae and debris. Clean the impeller cavity with a Q-tip. Hopefully, this will help.
The impeller is well and truely jammed in there. I think it's being retained by a ring of scale of something as it rotates, just, but won't move out at all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so the pump is disassembled and the impeller is still jammed? If so, let's try soaking the pump in white vinegar. Do this in a large bowl of water or small bucket. Pour the vinegar into the pump while filling the bowl. Let it soak. Then try a jet of water to loosen any debris. Again, make sure the pump is not connected to any electricity when you are working on it. My guess is the problem is a combination of calcium build-up and perhaps some debris such as sand or small rocks. Is the pump part of a filtration system or just pumping water to a fountain?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so the pump is disassembled and the impeller is still jammed? If so, let's try soaking the pump in white vinegar. Do this in a large bowl of water or small bucket. Pour the vinegar into the pump while filling the bowl. Let it soak. Then try a jet of water to loosen any debris. Again, make sure the pump is not connected to any electricity when you are working on it. My guess is the problem is a combination of calcium build-up and perhaps some debris such as sand or small rocks. Is the pump part of a filtration system or just pumping water to a fountain?
Yeah, might try some kettle descaler!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1628268354707.gif
@rich111
Good advice from all the above, hope you figure it out. Always nice to have a back up. Sorry you lost some fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Not sure where it was made, the vanes detached from the magnetic armature during the extraction process!
The reason I asked is; The rotor (your picture) with the impeller (vanes) attached, spins inside the pump to move water. Water HAS to 'get into it' in order for it to function. This moving water also serves to cool the pump, preventing it from overheating and shorting out. Unless your pump was running dry, a new impeller assembly should render it usable again. As for the 'exploded' rotor, I suspect this is due to poor quality plastic, a common problem with Chinese-made pumps since the western world demanded they discontinue the use of lead in their plastics, back in the 70's, I believe.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I concur with John; IF you can get a new impeller, you should be okay. And I commend you on figuring out a way to de-engineer the impeller of its vanes! Mighty smart of you! :D:D:D:D

Ask a Question