Oase filter system.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently digging my pond. Never had a pond before so could do with some advice.
My pond is to be partially raised. rectangular, 2 metres by 3.2 metres, depth = 60% at 1 metre deep & 40% at 50 cms deep. There will be a waterfall feature on one end.
I plan to keep fish and plants.
I am looking to purchase a Oase biosmart 1400 complete filtration system (includes FP3500 pump). Is this adequate or over the top. I will be seeking expert advice before purchase and hopefully you people can help here.
Waz

Reaction score
Hi catnwaz.

What type of fish are you hoping to keep in your pond? If you're keeping koi or other large fish, you'll probably find that the Oase biosmart 14000 isn't adequate for a pond your size and you may find that the Oase Biosmart 20000/18w set is better, or even a larger one.
Here is the spec for the 20000

Oase Biosmart 20000/18w set includes
  • Aquamax Eco 8500 pump
  • 18w UVC
  • BioSmart 30000 filter (Biotec 10.1 filter)
  • 5m 1 1/2" hose
  • Pond Volume in Ltrs - 30000 No Fish, 10000 No Koi, 5000 With Koi
If you have anymore questions relating to setting up a pond for the first time let us know, it sounds as though you have it sorted though

Reaction score
I am planning to start with some goldfish,comets, orfe and shubunkins. Also 1 (maybe 2) Sterlets or similar (yet to research these fish so may not be a possibility). I may also introduce a tench or 2 at a later date as I understand some bottom feeders will enrich the fish community. I do not plan to keep any koi to start as I wish to get some experience of fish keeping but they are definately a possibility for the future hence the depth being dug to start. Oh minnows are a possibility as I understand they will eat from the hand and the kids will love that.
Pond measures 3 metre x 2.2 metre. Depth wise the pond will be 60% at 1 metre deep and 40% at 50 - 60 centimetres deep. There will be some of this depth above ground level due to it being a raised pond. It will have a waterfall at one end which will serve to hide the filter system.
With those fish and those pond dimensions what filter/pump set would you recommend?

Ask a Question