Oase Pond o vac "classic" evaluation

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Pond O Vac to remove a lot of silt that had found its way into my newly built 1,400 gallon pond.
They cost about $180-$200. I found one on Ebay that someone was selling in new condition for $139.
It was very easy to set up and use. You must elevate the vacuum canister higher than the exhaust tube for best performance and the intake really sucks up the gunk! It vacuums for a few minutes then shuts itself off when its full. Then drains the tank out of the exhaust tube. Then it restarts itself and starts vacuuming again. You have to do nothing but wait a moment and start vacuuming again.
It has a few extension poles and different nozzles and even a bag for catching solids expelled out of the exit. It seems well built and sturdy.
It did a great job and I'm thinking that in the future....Years from now, it will be very helpful in removing sludge and algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Pond O Vac to remove a lot of silt that had found its way into my newly built 1,400 gallon pond.
They cost about $180-$200. I found one on Ebay that someone was selling in new condition for $139.
It was very easy to set up and use. You must elevate the vacuum canister higher than the exhaust tube for best performance and the intake really sucks up the gunk! It vacuums for a few minutes then shuts itself off when its full. Then drains the tank out of the exhaust tube. Then it restarts itself and starts vacuuming again. You have to do nothing but wait a moment and start vacuuming again.
It has a few extension poles and different nozzles and even a bag for catching solids expelled out of the exit. It seems well built and sturdy.
It did a great job and I'm thinking that in the future....Years from now, it will be very helpful in removing sludge and algae.

I like it but I had a few problems with this device.

1- Small goldfish are hopeless they will get sucked but it, fancy especially.
2- River stones will get sucked and block the tube so you cant make it vacuum the bottom well if you got small river stones.
3- The vaccum has to be placed higher than the pond.

Otherwise.. if you are planning a clean up of the pond, move all the fish out first before you start going at it. At this point for me I no longer use it except when I really wanna empty my pond fast. Main reason: small fancy goldfish and darters.

If I had a Koi only pond and without a bottom drain, this would be invaluable.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Mine came with several "snouts" to use for different vacuuming applications.
The one I used is blade shaped and about 6" wide.
The opening is a slit no more then 10 to 12 mm tall. Not large enough to suck up a fish or most rocks. However, it would inhale insect larvae and small fishes.
I was vacuuming fine silt. There are other fittings for doing larger work. But the larger the opening, the shorter you can vacuum in between draining cycles because it will suck up more water, faster.
Sure. It's not a perfect tool. But I'm very pleased.

Ask a Question