Observations this being my second winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koi are amazing. They go all winter without eating and remain robust and beautiful. Last winter was my first winter and my fish were much smaller and as I live in Zone 8b winter was not too cold. Last year the fish would often com up to the surface and eat a little. This year they have grown to at least 12 to 14 inches and they have not eaten or come to surface for food 10 weeks. It has been colder this winter. Today they are all swimming around like on a summer day. I looked at each koi as best I could and they all look like really good koi, not really award winners but they are my friends. It will be another month before spring for the koi will arrive and I cannot wait for another year. How they survive all winter is just amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
With the ice cover and only the small openings from the small pumps bubbling and the pond breathers I can't see the fish and I have to cross my fingers and hope for the best every winter/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi are amazing. They go all winter without eating and remain robust and beautiful. Last winter was my first winter and my fish were much smaller and as I live in Zone 8b winter was not too cold. Last year the fish would often com up to the surface and eat a little. This year they have grown to at least 12 to 14 inches and they have not eaten or come to surface for food 10 weeks. It has been colder this winter. Today they are all swimming around like on a summer day. I looked at each koi as best I could and they all look like really good koi, not really award winners but they are my friends. It will be another month before spring for the koi will arrive and I cannot wait for another year. How they survive all winter is just amazing.
My koi have another two and a half to three months to go

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We turn our pond back on in March, dependent on our crazy weather, hot or cold winter. It takes awhile for the fish to start moving around, you always think you loss them all until all of a sudden they show up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here I made them so many places to hide. I rarely see them all winter. Then one day here or there I can see them under the ice. Wish I could fire up the pond that early but we had the blizzard of 78 and we had 4 feet of snow in April. So I must wait I may set up a very small pump just to get this circulating.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know how they do it. I can't go 2hrs without eating. :p
They snack on the plants all winter, I see them just hanging out with slow swimming to a plant where they yank off algae or whatever to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Same here I made them so many places to hide. I rarely see them all winter. Then one day here or there I can see them under the ice. Wish I could fire up the pond that early but we had the blizzard of 78 and we had 4 feet of snow in April. So I must wait I may set up a very small pump just to get this circulating.
and here's the case where I avidly promote an underwater camera; didn't think I'd be all that concerned about my fish during winter, but I look in every day now. With all the bells and whistle you already have with your pond, I'm surprised you haven't gone the underwater view yet! You won't have to worry as much this way...jus' sayin'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haven't found a quality camera yet with blue tooth and where you can see it from a site like ring or nest does. Believe me once I do that bell will be added too maybe twice over

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know how they do it. I can't go 2hrs without eating. :p
There as close to dead as any living being can be . There temps are so low the breathing slows way down. There movement is slow and anyone who watches there fish knows how dopey they can get when temps drop . When they go to eat in cold waters its like watchIng my uncoordinated dog try to catch. Its just not his thing he just flaps his jaws like a man man hoping something falls in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well here in West Tennessee, no ice but the weather for the last two weeks has been highs in the 40 .... lows 20 to 30 ..... my koi have been in suspended antimation.... barely moving their fins, but for the last three days highs in the 60’s and lows in the 40’s..... they are scrubbing the walls and bottom eating algae and alot more active..... but they will be disappointed tomorrow high 36 and snow..... it will be early April before we know it and have to drag out the wheat germ.... and start the cycle again.... LoL.... Jimmy

Ask a Question