JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just got back from my final camping trip of the year. I spent three nights camping in a forest along the shore of Lake Michigan. I've camped there many times before, including last year. I biked 42 miles, hiked four or five miles, and took over 600 photos.

I've been looking forward to this trip all summer. It was planned months ago and haven't been camping since Spring. Not so long ago, I decided that one of the focuses of this trip would be photography. I too often rush my photos, and I knew this would be the perfect time to work on it. I decided to experiment a little. I took time to focus more on the scenes I was capturing and put more effort into getting the best possible representation of the location I was at. I wanted to come away from this trip with some of the best photos I've ever taken. I feel that I achieved what I set out for. I came away from this trip with a fantastic collection of photos, and I wanted to share some of them with you all.

One of my favorite things to do while in the forest is searching for salamanders. This area has at least three species of salamanders and with a little bit of luck and knowledge, they aren't too difficult to find. This is the most commonly seen salamander in the area: Blue-spotted Salamander.
IMG_4701 copy1.jpg

Another common sight are Red-backed Salamanders. These are harder to capture. Unlike the Blue-spotted salamanders, they don't like to sit still. They try to escape as quick as possible.
IMG_5003 copy2.jpg

Here's a very tiny Red-bellied Salamander. This one was only about an inch long.

IMG_5343 copy.jpg

Towards the end of the first day, I took a four mile bike ride and found this Garter Snake sitting on the trail. It musked me pretty good as it was trying to get away. Eventually it curled up under this leaf and allowed me to get a photo.

IMG_4733 copy.jpg

Of course, how could I stay in the forest without photographing the forest? It was tough to decide which images worked and which didn't, but I went through and picked my favorites.
This is the entrance road to the campground. It winds through the forest between the main campground and Lake Michigan.

IMG_5324 copy2.jpg

This peak of sunshine through the trees was taken on the second full day after about 24 hours of cloudy skies and rain. As the clouds broke, revealing the sun, I immediately had to capture it. Unfortunately, it didn't last more than an hour before becoming cloud for the rest of the day.
IMG_5138 copy2.jpg

The next photo was actually taken during last year's trip. It ended up being my favorite photo of the trip.
DSCN7208 copy2.jpg

I wanted to go back and find the same spot to photograph it again just for fun. I knew the area of the forest I was at when I took it, but didn't know the exact spot. I didn't have a copy of the photo with me and had to go purely by memory of the photo. I've looked at the photo a lot over the past year, so I thought I had a chance at finding it. Surprisingly, I was able to find it, and ended up taking it almost identically to last year. It was a different time of day so the lighting was different, but it's interesting to see the same spot a year apart. Immediately I see a small rotted tree that was previously standing is now laying on the ground. See if you can make it out.
IMG_5174 copy3.jpg

One of my favorite things to do while camping there is waking up early and catching the sunrise over Lake Michigan. I lucked out this year and even though most of the trip was cloudy, I was able to see two sunrises.

I'll start with the second one. The water was fairly calm and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was a nice way to start off the final hours of the trip.
IMG_5268 copy2.jpg
IMG_5311 copy2.jpg

The first morning's sunrise, however, was a gift from nature. It was a windy morning. The lake was wavy and clouds of all colors, shapes, and sizes were scattered around the sky. Every trip has one standout moment. It's always been that way for me. There is always one moment that becomes the signature moment of the trip. That moment for me usually coincides with one of my best photos of the trip. That continues to be true. The sunrise on the first morning will be unforgettable. What a dramatic scene Mother Nature provided me.

IMG_4852 copy2.jpg

IMG_4894 copy2.jpg

IMG_4910 copy2.jpg

Whenever I'm having a rough day I'll think about that morning. It wasn't necessarily "peaceful". The temperatures were cold. The cold wind was blowing in off the lake. The lake was roaring loudly.

I was by myself, though. No sight of other humans. If that isn't peaceful, I don't know what is.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for sharing those! I have to say that my favorite is the first one, with the salamander -- I love the depth of field and the colors of the leaves in the background.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Great photos JB, and a wonderful experience. It reminds me of a poem by William Henry Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

We have a similar spot on the west coast of Wales that my wife and I enjoy visiting. To stand on a cold, deserted beach, listening to the silence and watching the sun either rise or set is a great experience.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for sharing those! I have to say that my favorite is the first one, with the salamander -- I love the depth of field and the colors of the leaves in the background.

Thanks! That is one of my favorites, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for sharing those photos with us - what a lovely insight into your trip! I think my favourite photos are the garter snake peeking out from under the leaf, and the photos from the sunrise over the lake from your first morning. Spectacular! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's so beautiful. Thanks for sharing JB!
I wish I could capture something like that....

Ask a Question