j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Did I ever tell you how much I love your pond, covering, plants, fish and everything? It's gorgeous and so perfect!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nothing like rain drops on a still pond. I never noticed your log waterfall feature, either. Love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nothing like rain drops on a still pond. I never noticed your log waterfall feature, either. Love it.
I added it this summer (it's a faux log) after seeing GB's version and knowing I'd probably wait a long time to find something 'real' that would look the same. I ain't young anymore and patience isn't as easy to justify anymore!

Thanks for taking a peek! I had another one when it was raining a lot harder, but forgot to have some background music playing and by the time I got it queued up, it had lessened.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Whoa, that's beautiful! Looks like something one would see at a public attraction.
Thank you, Stephen; I'm humbled. There's a good and bad to being enclosed; good as no mosquitoes and can enjoy anytime, and bad, because I've run out of room to emulate others' ideas that really interest me! I think that's why I stocked heavily this year on koi; couldn't add anywhere else!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did I ever tell you how much I love your pond, covering, plants, fish and everything? It's gorgeous and so perfect!
I always smile when you do, j.w; I do like an open layout better re natural design but for over 25 years I hardly ever sat in my backyard at night as the mosquitoes are very hardy here and I'm not! It was the one design feature I wasn't going to opt out of when I originally did this. Seems like I lucked into a lot more than I ever thought, looking back now on other ponder's issues that I seem to skirt.

If you ever get bored of putting away summer stuff for the winter, those long everyday bike rides, or chopping wood, well, you could always nudge the significant other in the side and point to a pic of my pond build and tell him; brokensword says he "dares ya"...or something like that! Don't forget to include that long lost bog you keep nudging to the back of your thoughts!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@brokensword I will just do that and see what he says! He might build the cover thingy but I would have to do all the digging and not sure I am up for that anymore.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We don't have a ton of biters here, love the enclosure you have made and ponds and and and

Here I don't have enough flat land to build anything of that sort. Even the pond is a fake flat, dig down one side build up the other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm struggling with what leaf protection to employ this year. I better decide quick because the leaves are already starting to fall!
One good thing is that we have so much water lettuce coverage that they are preventing the leaves from sinking!

I always erect a PVC frame covered with pond netting. I would love to build something like you have but on a smaller scale or maybe more of a temporary structure that can be dismantled in the Spring.

I think the price of lumber has started coming back down. Maybe I'll do a temporary "A" frame type structure covered with plastic sheeting to include the pond and bog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If we built one like @brokensword has I would just use chicken wire or something w/bigger holes to allow frogs and birds to enter as we don't have issues w/bugs here. That way it would still keep out the Heron, raccoons, etc. from making sushi out of my fish but let in my friendly critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm struggling with what leaf protection to employ this year. I better decide quick because the leaves are already starting to fall! One good thing is that we have so much water lettuce coverage that they are preventing the leaves from sinking! I always erect a PVC frame covered with pond netting. I would love to build something like you have but on a smaller scale or maybe more of a temporary structure that can be dismantled in the Spring. I think the price of lumber has started coming back down. Maybe I'll do a temporary "A" frame type structure covered with plastic sheeting to include the pond and bog.

If we built one like @brokensword has I would just use chicken wire or something w/bigger holes to allow frogs and birds to enter as we don't have issues w/bugs here. That way it would still keep out the Heron, raccoons, etc. from making sushi out of my fish but let in my friendly critters.
you could do it out of the same 4" weave you have now, @j.w .

Ask a Question