JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi peoples...
Yes, my last post here was before eating some very old cookies. As a result of that encounter, my wife re-organized the pantry (so we can actually find and eat things we buy) which lasted all of 3 days. A positive result of that is that I now have my personal and private space inside the pantry. I was very surprised to see how fast it filled up.
zv1wnt.jpg

And based on this surprise find in my daughter's trash this morning, how fast it's emptying:
33ti250.jpg

And that I need a much stronger and more stern warning.

Apart from that, I'd decided to take a break from posting here because of the weather at the time, I wasn't doing anything with the pond. After that I'd just been busy with other stuff. Then my father passed away. He had not been well for a while and we had been estranged for quite some time. I'm trying to come to terms with that.

Pondwise:
- There's a leak somewhere, so I turned off the main pump and have a small shower / moving bed filter going while I redo the main filter.
- I'm preparing to vacuum the bottom of the pond with my wet/dry vac.
- We don't like looking at the pond with the nets over them. A couple of seasons ago I found something like this, but much more sturdy
who2u9.jpg

on sale at Target. So I'm going to screw about 8 of them into the ground and build a large PVC pipe frame with netting that you can walk under. Of course the PVC pipe cutter has now disappeared. I think my wife has something to do with it...
- Those 3 will be my main projects in the coming weeks.
- I've also decided to add a permanent filter under the waterfall to increase my nitrifying capacity and add more fish.

So anyways, that's what's been happening, and j.w. and m, thanks for asking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi John, Good to see you again! I missed your postings as they made me laugh :D

Sorry to hear about your dad....

Seems there is always something to do or change when it comes to ponds. I want to get some work done with mine so I can post some updated pictures. All my fish made it over the winter and seems they even grew a bit. It was a rough winter especially since it was the first time I had left my fish outside for the winter. I did a lot of worrying :rolleyes:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks.
The fish in my pond have not been fairing well. I think we lost a few, not sure due to predators or poor pond management. I've decided not to buy any more koi or Shubunkins but just to add feeders, some of whom have very pretty colors.

I had decided that at the end of last season and the feeders we had added all survived (except 1) and grew during the winter. We've always left our fish out and without heaters or bubbles too.

Looking back, I think the bottom line is I need more bio-filtration. I want something that pretty much has zero maintenance and that's why I'll just be putting a filter under the waterfall where there is water flow already.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey there you are John. Glad to see you back here posting again. We all thought you got cookie poisoning.

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing and hope you can get to feeling more at peace w/ it all as time goes by.

You will like having the net up for security. After I put mine up I haven't had to worry at all now about that bird getting my fish. I like how I can lift and walk under it also. Still it's not beautiful but not really that bad either as the netting is so thin but still strong. It is fishing net I ordered over the internet from Memphis. Cheap cost too and they even dip it in a u.v treatment for you. Addy told me about the place as she got hers there too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back we missed ya. The wide weave net works well the heron finally quit landing at our pond trying to snack. It does not bother all the other little critters that come around.

Reaction score
hi folks
i suffered a heart attack on friday night, went to the er. they did ct and angiogram and put a stent in me. new acct to post from hosp
feeling ok, actually wanted to leave this morning but dr convinced me to stay at least 1 more night
thinking of you guys lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you survived to post to us ................. that you had the attack! Take care hurry back when you are up to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Scary stuff, John!
You're thinking of GPF from the hospital? lol

Hope you realize what led up to this and maybe change your diet and lifestyle!:)

Reaction score
thanks ppl
ive a very sedentary lifestyle, not a lot of fatty foods
only slightly overwt, bad luck i guess

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well glad to hear you are ok as my husband had a heart attack in 2012 and if it had not been for our chihuahua pee wee he would have died in bed that morning .He actually was brought back 5 times once in the emergency room and 4 times in operating room and doctor told me to get family there and it was after sandy storm and had to nj police department and they got my son deasel fuel for his truck and got him out of Keansburg to down here.So I have been there and it is scarey .So really glad to hear you made it and that all goes good and you will be going home and make sure you listen to your doctor .Doctors also make mistakes so watch everything as my hubbies doctor made a mistake with meds and caused my hubby to loose 5 pints of blood from stomach bleeding from the meds .So keep an eye on that .It was from the effient meds he was given for his stent

Ask a Question