Oh hai...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JohnHuff, May 20, 2014.

1. JohnHuff

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

Hi peoples...
    Yes, my last post here was before eating some very old cookies. As a result of that encounter, my wife re-organized the pantry (so we can actually find and eat things we buy) which lasted all of 3 days. A positive result of that is that I now have my personal and private space inside the pantry. I was very surprised to see how fast it filled up.
    [​IMG]
    And based on this surprise find in my daughter's trash this morning, how fast it's emptying:
    [​IMG]
    And that I need a much stronger and more stern warning.

Apart from that, I'd decided to take a break from posting here because of the weather at the time, I wasn't doing anything with the pond. After that I'd just been busy with other stuff. Then my father passed away. He had not been well for a while and we had been estranged for quite some time. I'm trying to come to terms with that.

Pondwise:
    - There's a leak somewhere, so I turned off the main pump and have a small shower / moving bed filter going while I redo the main filter.
    - I'm preparing to vacuum the bottom of the pond with my wet/dry vac.
    - We don't like looking at the pond with the nets over them. A couple of seasons ago I found something like this, but much more sturdy
    [​IMG]
    on sale at Target. So I'm going to screw about 8 of them into the ground and build a large PVC pipe frame with netting that you can walk under. Of course the PVC pipe cutter has now disappeared. I think my wife has something to do with it...
    - Those 3 will be my main projects in the coming weeks.
    - I've also decided to add a permanent filter under the waterfall to increase my nitrifying capacity and add more fish.

So anyways, that's what's been happening, and j.w. and m, thanks for asking.

JohnHuff, May 20, 2014
    johnhuff2, j.w, Dave 54 and 1 other person like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. JohnHuff

bettasngoldfish Maria

Hi John, Good to see you again! I missed your postings as they made me laugh :D

Sorry to hear about your dad....

Seems there is always something to do or change when it comes to ponds. I want to get some work done with mine so I can post some updated pictures. All my fish made it over the winter and seems they even grew a bit. It was a rough winter especially since it was the first time I had left my fish outside for the winter. I did a lot of worrying :rolleyes:

bettasngoldfish, May 20, 2014
    JohnHuff likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. JohnHuff

dieselplower

Sorry to hear about your dad.

dieselplower, May 20, 2014
  4. JohnHuff

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

Thanks.
    The fish in my pond have not been fairing well. I think we lost a few, not sure due to predators or poor pond management. I've decided not to buy any more koi or Shubunkins but just to add feeders, some of whom have very pretty colors.

I had decided that at the end of last season and the feeders we had added all survived (except 1) and grew during the winter. We've always left our fish out and without heaters or bubbles too.

Looking back, I think the bottom line is I need more bio-filtration. I want something that pretty much has zero maintenance and that's why I'll just be putting a filter under the waterfall where there is water flow already.

JohnHuff, May 20, 2014
    johnhuff2 likes this.
  5. JohnHuff

Dave 54

Welcome back my friend sorry to hear about your dad :(

Dave

Dave 54, May 20, 2014
    JohnHuff likes this.
  6. JohnHuff

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hey there you are John. Glad to see you back here posting again. We all thought you got cookie poisoning.

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing and hope you can get to feeling more at peace w/ it all as time goes by.

You will like having the net up for security. After I put mine up I haven't had to worry at all now about that bird getting my fish. I like how I can lift and walk under it also. Still it's not beautiful but not really that bad either as the netting is so thin but still strong. It is fishing net I ordered over the internet from Memphis. Cheap cost too and they even dip it in a u.v treatment for you. Addy told me about the place as she got hers there too.

j.w, May 21, 2014
    JohnHuff likes this.
  7. JohnHuff

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome back we missed ya. The wide weave net works well the heron finally quit landing at our pond trying to snack. It does not bother all the other little critters that come around.

addy1, May 21, 2014
  8. JohnHuff

johnhuff2

hi folks
    i suffered a heart attack on friday night, went to the er. they did ct and angiogram and put a stent in me. new acct to post from hosp
    feeling ok, actually wanted to leave this morning but dr convinced me to stay at least 1 more night
    thinking of you guys lol

johnhuff2, Jun 29, 2014
    HARO and sissy like this.
  9. JohnHuff

bettasngoldfish Maria

Oh no, Sorry to hear this John :(

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Keep us posted

bettasngoldfish, Jun 29, 2014
  10. JohnHuff

Lisak1

Glad you're ok! Gosh, that's scary business!

Lisak1, Jun 29, 2014
  11. JohnHuff

Glad you survived to post to us ................. that you had the attack! Take care hurry back when you are up to it.

addy1, Jun 29, 2014
  12. JohnHuff

MitchM

Scary stuff, John!
    You're thinking of GPF from the hospital? lol

Hope you realize what led up to this and maybe change your diet and lifestyle!:)

MitchM, Jun 29, 2014
  13. JohnHuff

johnhuff2

thanks ppl
    ive a very sedentary lifestyle, not a lot of fatty foods
    only slightly overwt, bad luck i guess

johnhuff2, Jun 29, 2014
    sissy likes this.
  14. JohnHuff

Fishylove

Well John, glad you are doing ok! Unfortunately, sometimes it's all in the genes.... maybe you should wear sweatpants from now on :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ............
    Feel better :D

Fishylove, Jun 29, 2014
    HARO likes this.
  15. JohnHuff

sissy sissy

well glad to hear you are ok as my husband had a heart attack in 2012 and if it had not been for our chihuahua pee wee he would have died in bed that morning .He actually was brought back 5 times once in the emergency room and 4 times in operating room and doctor told me to get family there and it was after sandy storm and had to nj police department and they got my son deasel fuel for his truck and got him out of Keansburg to down here.So I have been there and it is scarey .So really glad to hear you made it and that all goes good and you will be going home and make sure you listen to your doctor .Doctors also make mistakes so watch everything as my hubbies doctor made a mistake with meds and caused my hubby to loose 5 pints of blood from stomach bleeding from the meds .So keep an eye on that .It was from the effient meds he was given for his stent

sissy, Jun 29, 2014
    johnhuff2 likes this.
  16. JohnHuff

j.w I Love my Goldies

Gosh John hope all will be ok for you now that they patched you up. Does this mean we have to be nice to you now? Hope they let you out soon.
    [​IMG]

j.w, Jun 29, 2014
    Fishylove and HARO like this.
  17. JohnHuff

johnhuff2

talked to the doc this morning. he says that i have to stay one more day to make sure im ok. so hopefully should get out Monday morning
    im on a whole bunch of meds now
    i find it interesting that just this time last year i was swimming, lifting weights and doing treadmills, and it was just one seasons worth of fatty foods and stress that brought it all along.
    thanks for all your love, ppl

johnhuff2, Jun 29, 2014
    Fishylove, bettasngoldfish and j.w like this.
  18. JohnHuff

j.w I Love my Goldies

See now you gotta start eating right like the rest of us. Now how do you deal w/ stress? The food is pretty easy but the stress is harder. Sit by your pond more when you can, listen to ipod while walking and hum a lot............that's my 2 cents worth.
    Hope they let you out tomorrow [​IMG]

j.w, Jun 29, 2014
    johnhuff2 likes this.
  19. JohnHuff

Go on walks John, listen to nature, I try to do a 2-4 mile walk every day, so peaceful

addy1, Jun 29, 2014
  20. JohnHuff

Nepen

Oh I'm so glad that you are ok. I hope it'll never happen to you again. May be you should sit and watch your fish more often to release stress ;)

Nepen, Jun 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question