OH MY GOD

Reaction score
what is going on. im new to this and things are quickly going from bad to worse as time goes by my water just keeps getting greener and greener by the day now all the little goldies are starting to die the last two mornings i checked i had dead fish this is really starting to confuse me i have a waterfall a homemade quilt bed filter and even a cartridge filter from an old pool for a prefilter also added an airstone for more oxygen a few days ago ponds been running for close to a month why would fish start dying now they have been in there for weeks seemed to be fine until this onslaught of green keeps getting worse and worse i have lettuce and hyacinths in there as well any help would be appreciated

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you have a water test kit to test your water parameters? Do you have any type of biological filtration? Can't remember what size pond you have what are the dimensions and if you take a closeup pic of one of the fish someone may be able to tell if they have a disease.

Reaction score
is it possible that its getting to cold at nite for the bacteria to survive its been dipping into the mid 50s

Reaction score
I doubt that...... Refresh our memories about your pond. What size is it, what filter system, etc. Isn't it new? You must get a test kit and test for ammonia, ph, nitrites and nitrates, it's very important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Just out of curiousity, are you fertilizing your plants? If so, how? Also, is there any possibility that you could be getting any kind of run off into your pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check water parameters!!! This is not the time of year that algae blooms are common. every post here is hitting on possibilities. I doubt it's the bacteria this early but it is possible if the water is getting below 50 degrees. , Now is IMO the most important time of the year to check PH, hardness, Nitrates, temp. ammonia and nitrites. Back down on feeding and remove any and all dying/dead organics possible, leaves, plants, fish etc.

Reaction score
well i dont feed the fish at all there is 0 possibility for runoff unless its coming from the creek rocks i put around the border the pond starts off perfectly clear every morning then by noon it turns green and by evening its almost blackish green but returns to clear next morning unreal

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds to me like PH swings, If your Gh and KH hardness are low the gas exchanges between the CO2 and 02 could be causing the ph to fluctuate more than normal, if it's getting to low (below 6.0) it can have the effects of acid burn on the fish. high nitrates can also cause this problem to esculate and high ammonia is far more deadly in acidic water than in alkaline.

Ask a Question